$80K — $100K *
Reports to the Product Improvement Manager, in our Product Improvement Department in Davis, Ca.
Schilling Robotics develops complex electro-mechanical robotics for use in the subsea industry. The primary purpose of this position is to develop the power system to operate the Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV). The secondary purpose of this position is to create electronic designs to support the complex tasks of the ROV and robotic arms. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to manage projects through all phases; from conception through end-of-life incorporating feedback from stakeholder and customers continuously. This position requires cross-functional collaboration to integrate complex electro-mechanical designs. The candidate must demonstrate excellent process and project skills.
• Design electrical components and systems used in the subsea robotics industry.
• Coordinate outsource designs with suppliers and interface them with in-house developed products.
• Create bills of material and oversee creation of drawings to support designs.
• Analyze design reliability, safety, serviceability and manufacturability.
• Collaborate with mechanical, electrical and software on detailed design work, and work with sales and service on product research and definition.
• Work as part of a team to help define electrical product safety requirements to reduce risk related to high voltage systems.
• Conduct FMEAs to identify and prevent potential failure modes in designs.
• Perform engineering duties at customer sites or offshore when required.
• Drive continuous improvement to electrical best practices by evaluating industry tools and techniques, then collaborating with the Electrical Engineering team to discuss implementation.
• Maintain an awareness of how assigned tasks impact schedule, scope, budget, quality and safety at every stage of development from concept to end of life.
• Other duties as assigned.
• BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or related field from an accredited college or university
• 3 years’ work experience in design of 3-phase 480VAC power distribution up to 500kVA
• Strong understanding of medium voltage circuits up to 6kV with transmission lengths up to 10km including:
o Impedance, voltage drop, load calculations, and wire sizing
o Short-circuit calculations for main breakers and distribution lines
o Familiar with design principals of induction and PMSM type motors
• Experience creating electrical schematics in CAD
• Proficiency selecting and qualifying appropriate components such as: breakers, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, VFDs, and motors
• Experience with control systems and feedback signals such as:
o PLC’s and microcontrollers
o 4-20mA current loops
o Serial communication using RS232, RS485, CAN, and Ethernet
o Communications protocols such as MODBUS and TCP/IP
• Understanding characteristics and their appropriate usage of grounding systems such as TT, TN and IT
• Excellent leadership, problem solving, and collaboration skills
• Solid verbal and written communication skills
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Professional Engineer (PE) license
• A strong understanding of electronics and their relationship to software, firmware, and mechanical interfaces and operation in a number of electrical specialties.
• Previous PCB design experience – Altium software preferred
• Familiar with industrial automation, panel layout, and component selection
• Familiar with industry standards such as UL, CE, NFPA, NEC, and DNV
• Familiar with the following software tools:
o Mechanical: SolidWorks, AutoCAD
o Electrical: Altium, AutoCAD Electrical
o MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project
• Regularly required to stand, walk, bend, kneel, listen and speak for long periods of time.
• Manual dexterity using hands, fingers, and arms to push, pull, reach, grab, hold, and lift.
• Wear steel toe shoes, safety glasses and other personal protective equipment as needed in safety zone areas, including additional required high voltage PPE.
• Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
• Frequent use of PC.
Valid through: 3/10/2021