Thorlabs is seeking a highly skilled, self-driven electronics engineer to participate in the development of next generation scientific instruments. The successful candidate will conceive, design and prototype world-class circuits and systems within a fast paced and dynamic R&D environment. Activities include schematic capture and layout of circuit boards, component selection, design simulation and analysis, prototyping, and final transfer to manufacturing. This position requires measurement and troubleshooting of complex electronics and system problems, and being committed to customer satisfaction. In this mission critical position the successful candidate will work across multiple product lines to bring to market the next generation of Thorlabs devices.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop electronics for precision scientific instruments and peripherals
- Develop basic firmware to control and monitor a number of optical and electrical components within one integrated system or for basic prototype circuit evaluation
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging and manufacturing phases
- Create design simulation and analysis reports along with lab measurement results
- Manage electronic component vendors and contract manufacturers as needed
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics related system issues
- Manage electronics engineering documentation and material specifications
- Develop test fixtures for manufacturing as needed
- Minimum of 3-5 years' experience with electronics design for scientific, biotech, medical, or semiconductor instrumentation
- Experience in analog/digital low noise design, simulation and implementation
- Experience in power electronics for low noise circuits.
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout (Altium software a plus)
- Hands on experience making laboratory measurements
- Skilled in using soldering iron and various other prototyping tools
- A Master's degree in Electrical Engineering is preferred or BS with subsequent experience in a related field
Desired Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic understanding of embedded hardware, such as microprocessor and microcontroller based control and monitoring circuits
- A working knowledge of and experience developing C embedded code.
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in instruments
- Familiarity with design and implementation of optoelectronic circuits and control systems
- Detailed design analysis and simulation for low noise and/or precision circuits, signal integrity, power dissipation, design margins, etc.
- Exposure to RFcircuits and high speed design methods.
- An insightful and intuitive mind with a keen eye for details.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.