Driven by our vision of the affordable, reliable, net-zero carbon grid of the future, Mainspring has developed a new category of power generation — the linear generator — that delivers onsite, fuel-flexible power to help accelerate the transition to the future grid.
The unique combination of attributes offered by Mainspring’s linear generator enables applications on both the customer and utility sides of the meter for the $750B global electricity equipment market. Mainspring began pilot customer installations in 2020 and plans its full commercial launch in 2021 with Fortune 100 cstomers and partnerships with top-tier utilities.
We are looking to build relationships with people who share our values:
- Pragmatic Optimism. Building a new category of world-class power generation requires the optimism of ambition and creativity, balanced with practicality to solve problems efficiently. The challenges that arise are opportunities for growth.
- Excellence without Ego. We bring expertise and commitment to creating the best customer experience, from sales to deployment and service, just as we apply deep technical rigor to building and delivering world-class products. We strive for excellence and behave as leaders with the humility to acknowledge our challenges, both collectively and as individual contributors.
- Proactive Collaboration. The integration and cross-disciplinary nature of Mainspring’s business requires intentionally seeking out others who bring different skills, perspectives, and priorities. Our culture of inclusion and respect extends beyond our team to interactions with our partners and customers.
Mainspring is based in Menlo Park and is backed by top-tier venture and strategic investors such as Khosla Ventures, Bill Gates, American Electric Power, and Centrica Innovations. More information can be found
Mainspring is seeking an Electrical Engineer with a variety of areas of deep expertise, who likes to solve challenging cross-functional problems with a mix of computational analysis, hands-on engineering and team effort. In this role, you will develop testing specifications and test systems for manufacturing, work with product engineers to incorporate design changes to better facilitate test coverage, and work with contract manufacturers to launch test systems in their factories.
You will be responsible for supporting mission-critical test systems design projects, likely including:
- Design and build semi-automated to fully automated test systems for critical product subsystems.
- Work with product design engineers to incorporate test methodologies into design
- Deploy test systems in our small manufacturing facilities in Menlo Park to validate and improve the ability to capture quality issues earlier in the build process
- Deploy test systems to our manufacturing partners as we launch our product into higher volume production
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, or a similar engineering field, with at least five years of full-time work experience
- Successful communicator, with “collaborate-first” mindset, who will interface across a range of teams and personalities
- Self-starter and fast learner, enthusiastic to learn complex design concepts and work with a world class team
- Nice to have: experience with a full design lifecycle, from concept through manufacturing support; having taken at least one product through volume manufacturing; deep understanding in one or several of the following fields: solid mechanics, machine design, materials, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, experimental design, electromagnetics and sensors, acoustics; comfortable with python programming language