General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Engineer (EE) to join our Photonics Engineering team located in Rancho Bernardo, CA. We are looking for someone with drive, talent, and experience in Digital Design, Hardware Description Language, and Embedded Controls who also thrives in a fast-paced, Research and Development (R&D) environment. The successful candidate will report to the Photonics EE Design Team Manager and, alongside high-caliber staff, will be engaged in the engineering support and new development of High Energy Laser (HEL) Systems, advanced airborne sensors, and laser communications systems for space applications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with GA-EMS Photonics Engineering staff and chief engineers in the concept development and prototype design, integration, and test of high-power processing solutions for HEL systems, advanced sensors, and space-based laser communications for image processing, target tracking/pointing, and signal modulation.
- With limited direction, exercise considerable latitude for initiating and developing designs, techniques, and solutions to resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Utilize prior experience in the improvement of legacy systems and development of new systems.
- Generate electrical architecture solutions for new project needs, perform electrical engineering analyses for systems and circuits, document findings, communicate results to engineering and program management staff, give technical presentations, and manage technical effort schedules.
- May function in a leadership role for a project and provide direction and guidance to less experienced professional staff or team of professional staff in technical efforts involving adaptive electro-optics, laser control systems, or space-based electronics.
- Formulate plans and coordinate solutions development and deployment including documentation, reporting, publishing, and making technical and other presentations to ensure viability of the solutions in an evolving environment.
- Communicate with colleagues and management throughout solution development and deployment cycles.
- May represent the organization as a prime technical contact on projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Required Experience: Digital circuit design; embedded controls; synthesis and analysis of Hardware Description Language designs; implementation of hardware processing and control solutions using high-performance devices such as the Zynq Ultrascale+ Multi-Processor System-on-Chip (MPSoC) using Xilinx Vivado Design Suite.
- Desirable Experience: Electronics design for space applications.
- Desired Skills: Experience with PADS PCB Design Software, Xilinx Vivado Design Suite, C/C++, VHDL.
- Demonstrate technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving project environment.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and/or professionals.
- Capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact.
- Customer-focused and able to formulate plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving complex technical engineering problems.
- Must be able to work on a self-initiated basis or in a team environment.
- Must be able to prepare and conduct detailed technical presentations and reviews.
- Some travel and extended work schedules may be required.
- The submission of a cover letter with resume is desired.