Berkeley Lab’s Facilities Division, Engineering Dept. is offering an exciting opportunity to work with world leaders in science, and be a part of a team that will advance science and influence the world. The Electrical Engineer Design Manager (DM) will manage the technical scope and work product of multi-disciplinary engineering teams designing laboratory facility and infrastructure projects. You will oversee the development of architecture and engineering construction documents prepared by architects and engineers from all facilities design disciplines including electrical (power, telecom, security), civil, structural, and mechanical (HVAC, plumbing, laboratory systems & building automation controls).
Berkeley Lab is located above UC Berkeley, on 202 acres that house over two million square feet of state-of-the-art scientific centers and support facilities. Berkeley Labaddresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
- The DM serves as the Control Account Manager (CAM) responsible for the preparation and issuance of project construction documents on behalf of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL). The DM is responsible for coordinating the review of the project documents as well as interfacing with the Building Code Officials for plan check & permitting.
- Provide engineering management to meet project goals and objectives and ensure that work is done in accordance with U.S. Department of Energy Order 413.3B and LBNL requirements.
- Establish a resource-loaded schedule, monitor progress and provide for corrective action as required to deliver final construction documents that meet all performance and schedule requirements.
- Provide direction to the Architect/Engineer (A/E), geotechnical engineer, and NEPA/CEQA consultants from conceptual design through the completion of final construction drawings & specifications.
- Organize design reviews with project stakeholders. Resolve technical issues and coordinate the appropriate resources.
- Organize and lead regular design team meetings, participate in Owner Architect Contractor (OAC) meetings during construction, and participate in the RFI and Submittal process during construction.
- Support the development of commissioning requirements and commissioning scope of work, support transition to operations, and develop testing & inspection strategies.
- Prepare procurement documents for the subcontracting of consulting A/E services to supplement internal engineering capabilities.
- Manage the contracts of consulting A/E firms performing design services for the project.
- Prepare presentations and provide status updates to management on special projects or initiatives.
- Deliverables: Deliverables for this position include resource level of effort estimates, detailed documentation for basis of estimates, preliminary and final construction documents, planning & schedule updates, performance reporting, communications on design activities, monthly status, and variance reports.
- A minimum of 5-8 years of related experience and a Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary design teams in the preparation of construction drawings, technical specifications, and engineer’s cost estimates.
- Significant experience in design management with a focus on laboratory and office design, including project planning, scheduling, professional services estimates, and adherence to completion dates.
- Significant experience troubleshooting and analyzing complex system problems and developing criteria and scopes of work that can be used to successfully restore the proper operation of a system.
- Experience utilizing design, bid, build and design-build project delivery methods.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable state and national construction codes and standards including California Energy Code, NFPA 70 & NFPA 70E.
- Significant experience in the use of Microsoft Office software and experience with AutoCAD and Bluebeam Revu in a collaborative design review process.
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable state and national construction codes and standards.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills are necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of DOE orders preferred.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Registered Professional Electrical Engineer licensed in California
- Experience leading and developing diverse project or initiative teams.
- Advanced knowledge of design, construction, and operation of laboratory facilities, and engineering principles and practices.
- Ability to address complex issues of broader scope and impact at the institutional level.
- Expert verbal and written communication, facilitation and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain and advise senior management.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable DOE Orders and Federal Standards.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.