Electrical Engineer, Advanced Technology and Projects ( ATAP )
Our computational challenges are so big, complex and unique we can't just purchase off-the-shelf hardware, we've got to make it ourselves. Your team designs and builds the hardware, software and networking technologies that power all of Google's services. As a Electrical Engineer, you design and build the systems that are the heart of the world's largest and most powerful computing infrastructure. You develop from the lowest levels of circuit design to large system design and see those systems all the way through to high volume manufacturing. Your work has the potential to shape the machinery that goes into our cutting-edge data centers affecting millions of Google users.
As an Electrical Engineer, you will be responsible for the hardware development of next-generation technologies that change how users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. As a key member of an extraordinarily creative, motivated and talented team, you will deep dive into challenging hardware areas, co-inventing and developing components and products enjoyed by potentially millions of people.
On this team, you will combine expertise in biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, computer science, anthropology and more to create mobile and wearable technology. You'll partner with leading research groups and organizations to enable fast development and meaningful advances at scale. You will be dedicated in driving miniaturization and optimization of electronics to innovate in the mobile and new interfaces space.
One of the driving forces of innovation at Google is our Advanced Technologies and Projects (ATAP) team. ATAP is a fast-paced, solution-oriented group developing and executing projects at the point where emerging science/technology trends meet consumer needs, products and services. Googlers working on ATAP projects will create demonstrations and user experiences that appear magical, simple and wondrous—and deliver at lightning speeds.
- Generate hardware specifications from product design requirements. Develop architecture and system design documentation of new products.
- Work with Engineers in system development, design validation, and performance characterization and optimization.
- Drive internal Electrical Engineering teams' and external vendor teams' research efforts and conduct individual research as needed. Provide hands-on prototyping of innovative technologies, new ideas and solutions.
- Manage solution scope, estimates, feasibility and schedule.
- Work with cross-functional teams (Software, Product Design, Industrial Design, Program Management, Operations, Finance, etc.) to deliver a successful product to market.
- BA/BS degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 9 years of work experience in consumer electronics and/or embedded systems (Micro-controllers, DSP, FPGA) design.
- Experience working with system integration of accelerometers, gyros, magnetometers and other cutting edge sensor technologies.
- Experience in analog and digital electronic circuits design (EDA software for schematic design, layouts, and circuit run simulation).
- Experience with any of the following: embedded systems, processor selection, various communication protocols (especially SPI, I2C, UART, MIPI, DSI), analog design, sensor design and/or low power design.
- Experience working with low power design. Expertise in low-latency communication methods.
- Ability to work with coding programs (C++ and Python), and familiarity with MATLAB or similar signal data analysis tools.
- Familiarity with sensor technologies, actuators and driver systems.