AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA is seeking a senior electrical engineer to be part of the Project Engineering group. The selected candidate will be responsible for the electrical review and design for the renovation and new construction of biopharma related equipment, utilities and facilities.
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. The company's mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world's most complex and serious diseases. AbbVie employs approximately 26,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
Specific responsibilities for the position are as follows:
Responsibilities would include:
- Acting as Subject Matter Expert for the Engineering Group in the area of electrical engineering with a focus on building power and biopharma equipment electrical design related to renovation, new construction and the installation of facility related equipment.
- Knowledge of controls and instrumentation design for GMP equipment.
- Maintaining Arc Flash compliance for the facility
- Apply National Electric Code requirements and knowledge to engineering designs.
- Review designs from outside firms to ensure that they meet all applicable site specifications and standards, user requirements and applicable codes.
- Develops scopes, specifications, estimates and standards for electrical related projects
- Oversee the overall implementation schedule for assigned electrical/power related capital projects and take necessary actions to ensure that all assigned projects are completed and fully turned over to internal customers within pre-established deadlines.
- Preparation of design documentation in support of the building power infrastructure modification and upgrades.
- Subject matter expert in electrical safety program and policies at ABC
- Key member of ISO50001 energy team. Participates in energy reduction initiatives and projects
- Subject matter expert in emergency power generation system, demand response, and overall emergency power management strategy
- Oversee electrical design of all vendor-fabricated equipment, including review and approval of all vendor submittals with internal stakeholders, and preparation/execution of factory and site acceptance testing (FAT / SAT) protocols as applicable
- Interact with city inspectors and outside contractors.
- Oversee all on-site contractors for assigned projects. This includes (but is not limited to) scheduling of contractors around production operations, generation of contractor safety permits, oversight of contractor safety while on site, and continuous review / approval of contractor equipment installation during construction.
- Support startup of new equipment, including (but not limited to) the execution of commissioning activities, field troubleshooting of newly installed equipment, and field support to site validation staff.
- BS degree in electrical, or equivalent degree with a minimum of 5-10 years of relevant experience is required.
- The ideal candidate will possess experience in engineering design of biologics electrical and/or building equipment specifically pertaining to instrument and, utilities, and facilities.
- Strong electrical background in building design and power operation involving pharmaceutical operations.
- Strong working knowledge of the National Electric Code.
- Possess excellent attention to detail and be able to diagnose/troubleshoot process problems that are electrical in nature.
- Experience in supporting the operation of biotech or pharmaceutical equipment or processes specific to the electrical and building requirements of these facilities.
- Candidates must be able to lift 25 lbs and negotiate pipe racks/ ladders.
- Good oral/written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects effectively, possesses excellent planning and organizational skills
- Teamwork, leadership and the ability to maintain constructive relationships with personnel from various disciplines at all levels in the organization are desired competencies.
- The successful candidate should demonstrate integrity, reliability, dedication, adaptability, innovation and self-motivation.
- AbbVie is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer: At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.