Tennant Company is a recognized leader of the cleaning industry. Since 1870 we have been passionate about developing innovative and sustainable solutions that help our customers clean more spaces more effectively, addressing indoor and outdoor cleaning challenges. Our products include equipment for maintaining surfaces in industrial, commercial and outdoor environments; detergent-free and other sustainable cleaning technologies; cleaning tools and supplies; and coatings for protecting, repairing and upgrading surfaces. With more than $1B in revenue, Tennant Company operates in three geographic business units including the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Africa and Asia Pacific. Join the company committed to empowering our customers to create a cleaner, safer and healthier world with high-performance cleaning solutions that minimize waste, reduce costs, improve safety and further sustainability goals.
As an Electrical Engineer in our Holland, MI facility, you’ll primarily be responsible for design quality of our commercial machines as well as being a resource for our production team when issues arise on the floor. In this role you’ll be exposed to a majority of our product portfolio while working with cross-functional teams both within and outside of engineering on issues identified in-house and out in the field. You’ll be responsible for performing root cause analysis and ensuring the technical accuracy of design work. If you’re looking for an opportunity where you will be exposed to a variety of issues (spanning hardware to software), where you can use your analytical abilities while working with different areas of the business, then this is the role for you.
- Cross-functionally collaborate with hardware, systems, software, finance, marketing, material controls, procurement, service, suppliers, test, manufacturing and assembly engineering on design optimization, and implementation of project(s).
- Lead several projects at one time and operates with substantial latitude for un-reviewed action or decision.
- Develop a project plan from a “bottoms-up” approach. Then progressively elaborate on the plan.
- Execute the project plan, which typically includes prototype builds and production implementation as milestones.
- Mine quality and warranty data for continuous improvement opportunities; scope and execute projects to improve product offering to key customer and control warranty costs
- Execute key engineering and quality projects using appropriate Six Sigma and 8D tools and processes
- Collaborate with Tennant Sales & Service teams and end users to quickly understand product quality issues and partner to create and validate innovative solutions
- Responsible for the technical accuracy of design work and the work of any personnel supporting projects owned.
- Establishes performance specifications and plans for evolution of these specifications over time.
- Design and analysis of components/systems, including but no limited to using the following tools/processes:
- Worst-Case analysis, engineering calculations, FMEAs, statistical analysis/reliability, and simulation analysis.
- Plans and supports verification and validation testing. Leverages the test data to understand and manage design trade-offs.
- Apply Tennant, Industry, and Regulatory standards to designs.
- Keep abreast of Engineering techniques, processes, and best practices as they affect design assignments on Tennant products.
- Independently identify and implement departmental improvement projects.
- Write reports, maintain records, and record patentable ideas.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 4 years of electrical engineering experience OR a Master’s Degree with a minimum of 2 years of experienceelectrical engineering experience
- Project management experience
- Modeling and simulation experience (preferably MatLab/Simulink, MathCad, and/or PSpice)
- Working knowledge of CAD desired (preferably Unigraphics and/or Solidworks)
- Power electronics, power systems, and closed loop control systems experiencepreferred
- Embedded system design experiencepreferred
- Proficient financial acumen and the ability to link initiatives to business results in ROI terms
- Technical competency in Six Sigma skills: DMAIC, Lean, process management, change management and advanced statistical techniques (desired)
- High-energy self-starter, able to successfully manage ambiguous tasks
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, manages multiple projects, work cross-functionally, and deliver against company business goals and objectives
- Strong written and verbal communication/presentation skills
- Demonstrated success initiating change and ability to influence at all levels
- Have the bias for action and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, innovative and dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated ability for team leadership and motivation
- Process oriented with strong problem solving skills
- Demonstrates a strong hands-on approach
- Proficiency in Windows Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and simulation software. A proficiency in Minitab, Reliasoft (or other statistical software), and/or Microsoft Project would be desirable
- Ability to drive root cause identification and corrective action leading to timely resolution