The Electrical Design Engineer role is responsible for the development of electronic systems for applications in KVH industries' next generation of VSAT satellite communications products. As an Engineering team member, this person will participate in the entire project life cycle (requirements, design, development, testing, release, and maintenance) working collaboratively with engineering and product management, manufacturing, customer service, and quality groups in an agile development team.
- Perform digital and analog circuit design for embedded processor and microcontroller based platforms.
- Design, simulate, and verify that electrical performance meets specifications including signal and power integrity, timing, and power budgets.
- Design schematics, perform simulations, and generate PCB layouts.
- Design and bring-up development boards/platforms in support of prototyping, debugging, and system integration efforts.
- Design, simulate and verify electrical performance of digital interfaces including I2C, UART, SPI, Ethernet, DDR, and PCIe.
- Perform failure analysis and root-cause diagnosis for electrical hardware issues.
- Support testing and verification of EMI/EMC performance.
- Provide design review documentation and conduct cross functional design reviews according to department procedures.
- Develop comprehensive electrical hardware specification documents, test plans, and engineering build documentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with 5+ years of relevant experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Strong electrical engineering fundamentals including analog/digital circuit design, signal/power integrity, and designing for EMI/EMC compliance.
- Experience architecting and designing circuit boards for integrated systems that include processors/SoCs, FPGAs, memory, high-speed communication interfaces and DC-DC power circuits and distribution.
- Hands-on experience with schematic capture and PCB layout. Altium Schematic Capture and PCB layout Preferred.
- Hands-on experience with lab equipment including oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers and power supplies.
- Strong prototyping, bring-up and debugging skills.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams including Software, Mechanical, and Test.
- Experience working in a Scrum/Agile environment desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.