Req #: 6221
Scope of Position:
Develop and implement innovative electrical control designs to solve significant processing and material handling opportunities for Corning Incorporated. Focus will be on the design, commissioning and start-up of new equipment for batching, melting, draw, extruding, firing, finishing, and material handling.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Electrical Design of process and automation controls for manufacturing environment.
- Oversee Electrical CAD activities for Corporate Engineering
- Oversee Control Cabinet specifications, safety circuits, electrical cabinet checkouts,
- Coordinate with project managers to develop and implement electrical controls with state-of-the-art manufacturing capacity.
- Dramatically advance productivity gains through control hardware.
- Collect and interpret control project needs from a variety of sources
- Development and deploy process and automation controls on global scale
- Design complete electrical system to control stability of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, mechanical, motion, chemical, robotics, power, molecular structure, multi-state physics, and electromechanical processes.
- Test validity of solutions that use traditional and advanced control.
- Actively participate in all phases of the project including design, fabrication, off-line integration and testing, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel, and technology transfer. Independently follow construction of equipment at vendors’ facilities.
- Actively participate in all project development phases including design, fabrication, off-line integration, testing, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel and technology transfer.
- Provide necessary hardware related documentation including requirements, design, test plan, and user guide.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments, in a cross-functional team based environment.
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements as well as applicable national and international equipment design standards.
- Mentor and promote hardware development best practices.
- Enhance centralized AutoCAD libraries.
- Prepare, present and publish technical papers in public forums to advance personal technical reputation and Corning Incorporated
40% domestic and international travel involved.
Hours of Work/Schedule
- 43+ hours/week
- A typical college experience in electrical design, electronic design, embedded processors, computer programming, and instrumentation.
- AutoCAD or SolidWork computer design packages
- Electrical Design knowledge of Plant Floor controls, HMI’s, instrumentation desirable.
- Well versed in electrical engineering principles.
- Understanding of PID and advanced control functionality.
- Capability to design, develop and deliver fully integrated machine and motion control, automation, and process machine to manufacturing.
- Able to effectively leverage external machine builders and electrical integrators to design, develop, and deploy integrated manufacturing to global manufacturing facilities
- Understanding of electrical panel layout, schematic design, ladder logic programming, and electrical testing and troubleshooting.
- Familiarity of logic based programming. PLC and IEC base programming structure including ladder logic, function blocks, structured text, and sequential flowchart desirable.
- Knowledge of processes comprised of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer.
- Integration of embedded real time control into solution.
- Ability to document risk assessment process and design safety circuits that are in compliance with ANSI R15.06-1999 or ANSI TR3 and process requirements.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Rigor in experimental execution and analysis.
- Experience with electrical control cabinet design
- Experience with machine vision acquisition
- Experience with robotics
- Communications - EthernetIP, OPC UA, DeviceNet, CANBUS, ProfiNet, ProfiBus, and Modbus
- Works well with other disciplines (process, mechanical engineering)
- Controls/Electrical Panel design experience in Manufacturing
- Basic project management skills (e.g. scoping, budgeting, timelines etc.)
- Some experience in manufacturing environment
- Some knowledge of equipment engineering, process support and debug
- Familiarity with communication interfaces (Serial, Ethernet)
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to collaborate with internal customers around the world to achieve business goals.
Required Education and Experience:
BS in Electrical Engineering required.
0-3 years of experience in related technical field