At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWXT provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for national security, clean energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With approximately 6,400 employees, BWXT has 12 major operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. We are the sole manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide environmental remediation and nuclear operations management at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities.
BWXT is currently seeking an Electrical Controls Systems Engineer for its Lynchburg, VA location!
The Electrical Controls Systems Engineer is a part of a team that is responsible for the design, building and support of new and existing custom automated manufacturing and inspection systems used in the Lynchburg manufacturing facility. The candidate will perform both electrical system hardware design and control system application programming.
- Works with teams of engineers and customers to design, build, maintain, and upgrade automated process control and data acquisition systems that support manufacturing, quality control, and other plant operations.
- Performs electrical/control system hardware selection and design, including controllers, power distribution, cabling, and peripheral devices (motors, encoders, sensors, valves, etc.).
- Integrates automated PC- and/or PLC-based control systems with third-party hardware and software.
- Documents electrical control system designs via build-to-print cabinet/enclosure assembly drawings and system wiring diagrams and schematics.
- Develops software/control system applications for motion control, data acquisition, and operator interfaces using Allen–Bradley / Rockwell PLC based tools, and/or Microsoft VB.Net or C and C# PC based systems.
- Generates and executes system and software test plans and develops user manuals for the system/machine.
- Supports technicians in the assembly, installation, trouble-shooting, maintenance, and upgrades of new and existing systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an ABET-accredited university is required. An Electrical Engineering degree is preferred.
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience is required.
- Should be able to demonstrate effective working knowledge of PLC Ladder Logic (Allen-Bradley / Rockwell PLC), Motion Control (e.g. Allen-Bradley, Delta Tau, Galil), Visual Basic (Microsoft .Net), C and C# programming, preferably in the referenced platforms, and/or be willing to work and train to develop these skill sets.
- Any additional knowledge or previous experience in electrical control systems design or programming is a plus.
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is required.
- Must be a US Citizen with no dual citizenship.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) clearance.