As an Electric Drive Systems Engineer, for John Deere, you will plan, coordinate, and carry out the product analysis, design, and/or testing activities for electric drive components and systems used on vehicles worldwide. Electric drive system components include motors, generators, power inverters, safety protection devices, control systems, conductors, and connectors. You will:
- Perform analysis and design of the electric drive system design consisting of electric machines, power electronics, control systems, wiring systems, and related systems. Make recommendations to optimize system performance, while meeting the application requirements.
- Work with product platform groups to translate customer needs and platform requirements into electric drive system and component requirements while taking particular care at interfaces, meeting program requirements (performance, cost, quality and schedule), diagnostic needs, environmental requirements, and applicable industry standards.
- Work with platform product engineering to execute product design through technology development, critical component development, and product development formal processes.
- Work with product platform engineers to integrate electric drive systems on Deere vehicles. This involves designing and defining mechanical, signal, fluid, and electrical power interfaces.
- Within EDSG, execute the critical component development process. Duties include managing work flow, supporting documentation creation, and common practices such as FMEAs, design reviews, FGRs, change management, product validation, product verification, and diagnostic development.
- Collaborate with Deere platforms, Tech Center India (TCI), consultants and suppliers for system and component analysis, design, and development. This will include interfacing with other analysis functions such as heat transfer modeling, dynamic modeling, noise and vibration analysis, finite element analysis, etc.
- Contribute to identifying potential electric drive applications with differentiating value to customers, working with vehicle platforms.
- Lead problem resolution with technology on vehicle platform applications. Works closely with platform engineers to understand, define and correct technical problems.
US Visa sponsorship is NOT available for this position.
What Skills You Need
- 2+ years experience with simulation/modeling tools such as MATLAB/Simulink.
- Excellent communication and listening skills. Written communication requirements include generating product/system requirements documents of significant magnitude, creating technical reports suitable for long-term archiving, and creating presentations.
- 1+ years technical work experience relating to the design or testing of electric drive systems
- 2+ years product engineeringexperience
- 1+ years product design experience
- 1+ years work experience relating to the design or testing of electric drives components such as electric machines, power electronics, connectors and conductors
What Makes You Stand Out
Other areas of experience or interest that will help us place you on the right team include:
- Lab experience in electric drive technology including power electronics and electric machines.
- Advanced technical degree in the electric drives technical area
- Knowledge of diesel engine systems and control.
- Knowledge of mechanical drives that interface with electric motors and generators
- Knowledge of power electronic inverter construction and cooling
- Knowledge of different electric machine types and forms
- Knowledge of testing electric drive systems and components
- Knowledge of control system design both at motor control and system control level
Education (or equivalent work experience)
Ideally you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with supporting studies in electric drive control, electric machine components and/or power electronics (or equivalent experience)
- Advanced technical degrees are desired