Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB's Electrification business is a leading provider of a full range of protection, control and measurement solutions - enabling safer and smarter electricity flow from substation to the point of consumption. We deliver products and systems designed to connect, protect and control electrical systems, ensuring reliability, efficiency and safety for equipment and personnel.
The Communications and Public Affairs function is crucial to our success. They are responsible for creating clear and targeted messaging for employees, customers and stakeholders, while supporting strong brand positioning, facilitating positive media relations, and managing public affairs.
This role reports to Lead Business Manager. As an EL Communications Leader, you will be taking leadership of all the Electrification Business Area internal and external communications activities in the country, ensuring positive branding of ABB and the Business Area in the market. Ensure a coherent communications strategy for the U.S., in line with the Electrification Business Area and ABB Group strategy guidelines and brand positioning. Take responsibility for excellence in all communications measures within the framework of an approved budget. Lead communications for cross BA activities.
- External communications: Lead the planning, development and execution of all external communications related to Electrification Business Area in the U.S with Electrification Business Area and Corporate guidelines and overall Electrification strategy.
- Responsible for specific customer and partnership communications and programs related to the U.S. such as universities, non-governmental organizations.
- In charge of developing Corporate/business area reputation brochures and collaterals in alignment with regional and group communications teams.
- Country Communications support: As lead BA, oversee the support for cross BA communications activities with focus on crisis the impact the brand, customer events, national community relations efforts and ABB Foundation.
- Media and PR: Develop and implement an integrated media plan for Electrification to advance EL's brand identity and align with the EL and wider Group ABB strategy and messaging.
- Ensure flawless execution of the media relations plan including management of any external agency partners and ABB's social media outlets.
- Carry out advertising at country level as part of local country media relations activities.
- Proactively engage with business media and key trade media and serve as the lead spokesperson and lead point person for the BA (and country as needed) on media interactions that promote and/or impact the Electrification Business Area that distribute global PR messages locally.
- Support key leaders in the Business Area with thought leadership content, media guidance and speaking opportunities.
- Provide direction and support to all media spokespersons in EL and country as needed.
- Ensure key leaders receive best practice training in media relations and crisis communications.
- Ensure BA representation on the global media relations team. Work with global team to create and manage announcements and campaigns in line with media strategy and ensure global messages are localized for the relevant market.
- Plan, support, prepare and manage responses to positive and negative inquiries from external sources - including crisis and issue-related media and social media escalations and responses.
- Internal communications: Lead the provision of tools and support local management on employee communication, intranet content, presentations, newsletters and publications, events, etc. for Electrification Business Area including signing-off of content before publication.
- Co-ordinate internal communications for the country in alignment with the other functions including legal and integrity, HSE, HR and security.
- Digital communications and social media: Own country social channels and websites with responsibility for content, maintenance and campaigns.
- Support marketing and sales with EL website.
- Events and Branding: Safeguard brand identity, corporate design and regulatory compliance in all communications, both internal and external for the Business Area. Co-ordinate media events.
- Support with content and ensure brand compliance for local trade shows and local customer events, in collaboration with local marketing teams.
- Issue and crisis management: Ensure accurate knowledge and management of existing issues and crisis plan at the country level.
- Develop and update vulnerability assessment plan in coordination with the region management and ensure all internal issues and crises are handled with minimum negative impact to the organization brand.
- Knowledge exchange: Play an active role as a key member of the regional Communications team, enhancing and contributing to communication flow, in alignment with Electrification and Corporate communications guidelines.
- Share knowledge with other Communications Managers and leverage best practices from across the organization.
- Finances and budget: Manage and apply rigorous control to the region communications budget, ensure transparency and maximize effectiveness and efficiency.
- People leadership and development: Provide leadership to the communications teams across the region. Ensure (with HR Manager support) that the area of responsibility is properly organized, staffed, skilled and directed.
- Guide, motivate and develop direct/indirect subordinates within HR policies.
- Require Undergraduate degree, or higher in Marketing, Public Relations (PR) or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Marketing, Communication Management or Public Relations in a matrix style organization within a management role.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in United States.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- In-depth demonstrable knowledge and experience of all aspects of internal and external communications mix, including research and measurement.
- Experience in copywriting and editing for business communications.
- Understanding of Business Development strategic planning and how communication interventions can support the plan.
- Understanding of the impact of communications on the organizational Brand and ability to advise Senior Leadership as well as communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge and understanding of technology, industrial automation, robotics etc.
- Strong Business Partnering and communication skills, with experience of managing internal and external relationships with senior stakeholders.
- Extensive network within the press/media.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution - creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let's write the future, together.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.