Responsible for the development and administration of the UCC/BD EHS, Facilities, Operations, and Security Management Systems for the BD Interventional UCC Covington/Madison facilities. Ensures compliance with all local, state, federal, and country regulations as well as corporate EHS requirements. Collaborate with all local management leadership and associates to enhance, develop and sponsor programs intended to implement and promote the continuing safety, health, and security performance of the Covington/Madison BD campus locations. Responsible for completing project reviews for capital projects, new product development, process changes, and equipment changes. Works with the EHS Manager-UCC Business Unit related to UCC EHS programs, policy and procedure and application to the site as required. This position reports to the Sr. Operations Manager Sterilization with dotted line to the EHS Manager-UCC Business Unit .
- Displays the desire and demonstrates the potential to increase responsibilities in EHS as BD continues to grow as an organization.
- Utilizes systems to track and report EHS performance metrics/scorecard to BU Operations leaders; Engages site Operations leaders on EHS matters to ensure a strong culture of associate safety and environmental management.
- Conducts technical reviews and determines impacts for process changes, capital projects, new product development, and equipment modifications for facilities and operations.
- As needed, fulfills the role of inside project manager, ensuring project goals are met within time frame and budget allotted and oversees construction project activity.
- Conducts/Leads process safety hazard analysis/hazard and operability studies (PHA/HAZOP) for applicable processes and any future process changes. Responsible to ensure compliance with all OSHA PSM and EPA RMP regulations for BD facility programs. Additionally conducts hazard reviews for all process controls, projects, and any process changes for UCC Covington/Madison and as required for other BD divisions.
- Tracks and authors all required governmental compliance reports to complete and submit timely as required by the respective agency or BD permit documentation.
- Leads a proactive individual based safety program, identifies and establishes leading indicator safety goals for Division facilities and develops programs to promote a strong safety culture in alignment with BD Global EHS Safety Compliance, Management & Performance Improvement activities.
- Responsible for overall site security for the Covington and Madison campuses to include C-TPAT compliance, Workplace Violence System, site security guards (contract or employees), and life safety system compliance.
- Acts as liaison with local emergency response including police, fire, or other emergency services.
- Serves as the BD site incident tracking & management system super user for UCC Cov/Mad plants and assists other Divisions as needed.
- Works as liaison with the EHS Manager-UCC Business Unit related to EHS policy and programs. Assists EHS Manager-UCC Business Unit with developing corporate EHS standards and with auditing UCC locations as required. Conducts detailed incident analysis and investigation for all HIPO / Severe incidents and provides relevant bulletins/communications to division as needed.
- Keeps up to date on all current and pending environmental, health and safety legislation and regulations as well as insurance company requirements. Identifies all applicable regulations (Corporate, Country, Federal, State, and Local) and ensures facilities have procedures and programs in place to adhere to these regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to use influence skills to successfully develop and implement effective site safety and environmental programs. Engage with all sites across the BU portfolio as required.
- Effective communication and presentation skills, and the ability to exercise judgment and appropriately communicate and manage during crisis situations, if they are to arise.
- Incumbent executes responsibilities with a degree flexibility, reporting solid line to Site Sr. Operations Manager, with dotted line to EHS Manager-UCC Business Unit.
- Incumbent must engage and gain the support of associates in various positions of responsibility and in various functions within the facilities. This includes associates in these functions who occupy positions of authority that is equal to, greater than or less than the incumbent. Incumbent must clearly communicate project plans and resource requirements to gain the support of these individuals.
- Incumbent must be able to understand the overall operations strategy for the BU and be able to structure and implement an EHS strategy to support operations.
- Demonstrated understanding of federal and state safety and environmental laws and the ability to identify and evaluate workplace hazards and environmental requirements.
- Effective skills in the areas of counseling, coaching and influencing.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed herein are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Inside and Outside Contacts - Works closely with:
- Site Operations leaders - UCC
- EHS Manager-UCC Business Unit
- Site Managers – All levels
- Plant technical support resources
- All UCC Site EHS Colleagues
Degree of Accountability (discretion/supervision)
- Direct influence and responsibility EHS compliance and performance at the Covington/Madison UCC sites.
- Direct influence on plans and project priorities for UCC for which there is an EHS impact. Provides leadership and direction to Covington/Madison site managers on EHS resourcing and capabilities.
- Direct influence on programs / policies coming from local site EHS; participates on projects and forums convened by Corporate EHS.
- Direct influence and responsibility to communicate with and meeting local governmental agency requirements/permits including but not limited to OSHA, EPD/EPA, fire, law enforcement, and local county regulatory departments.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Management or Occupational Safety and Health or related degree.
- At least 5 years of experience managing EHS at the site level.
- CSP, CIH, or CHMM Certification preferred to ensure continuing education of current EH&S trends and knowledge.
- Experience designing and implementing strategies/programs/processes that supports a business strategy.
- Experience leading PHAs and/or HAZOPs and conducting EHS Project Reviews.
- Proficient in OSHA, PSM, EPA Regulations, Building Codes, experience preparing and submitting environmental permits and forms.
- Proficient and experienced conducting EHS audits preferred.
- Proficient and experienced in developing and implementing EHS management systems.
- Must have strong organizational, communication, and influencing skills, ability to maintain accurate and detail records.
- Ability to travel (~10% - 15%)