The Regional EHS Director has the potential to have a big impact on an employee base of ~4k associates, and will work closely with senior leadership and operations across the East. The team remains very open in regards to industry experience and welcomes applicants from multiple industries.
· Implement, manage, measure and report status of regional responsibilities for EHS function (e.g., injury prevention, Workers Compensation claim management, EHS compliance and environmental sustainability).
· Be a resource and contribute to the efforts of the Regional Management team to succeed with all goals.
· Be a resource to and contribute to the efforts of the Corporate EHS mission to standardize processes at continuously improved levels.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design and implement strategies to prevent occupational injuries
a. Identify risks associated with hazardous conditions, process design deficiencies and poor employee behaviors. Design and implement risk reduction tactics to minimize risk.
b. Communicate current observations and results of programs to employees and management
• Manage Workers Compensation claims for optimal recovery of injured employees and reduced cost
a. Know specific state WC requirements and operate program within required parameters.
b. Establish and manage optimal communication and work processes for efficient claim management.
c. Form a trustworthy and effective partnership with insurer/TPA for optimal claim management results.
• Ensure compliance with OSHA, EPA, DOT, and other EHS related regulatory requirements.
a. Know Federal, State, County and City requirements – take proactive steps to ensure compliance
b. Create and manage programs to continuously monitor compliance, audit performance and promote standardized, efficient systems.
• Promote sustainability programs and initiatives that reduce the company’s environmental footprint (electricity, water, waste and emissions).
• Contribute to the management and resolution of EHS related emerging issues, including compliance, legal, and business expansion activities.
Supervise Regional EHS staff, which will include 4 Regional EHS Managers and Specialists. This staff may reside at different locations within the Region, requiring “remote” supervision methods.
Education Preferred: Bachelordegree in related Sciences (e.g., Chemistry, Biology, Safety, Industrial Hygiene), or at least 10 years work experience in all aspects of responsibilities described herein.
Preferred: Safety, Industrial Hygiene or Risk Management professional certification.
Work Experience: 10 years work experience of responsibilities listed herein
Physical and Mental:
Must be able to periodically rotate to 2nd and 3rd shifts (to perform audits, or administer training), must be able to travel frequently to other operating sites within the Region.
Travel: 25% travel across the East Region
Other: Must have experience, or knowledge, of identifying and implementing risk reduction strategies for occupational hazards, including biological, chemical, ergonomic, vehicle safety, electrical, and indoor air quality. Must be fully versed in compliance requirements for all OSHA and EPA standards. Should have working knowledge of business best practice and international standards for managing EHS programs.
Must also possess:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication (including excellent verbal and writing skills),
• Must be proficient in using Microsoft business applications and possess strong PC skills,
• Must have proven problem solving and analytical skills,
• Proven ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines within standards,
• Adaptable and flexible with the ability to accept, create and manage change,
• Must have experience with managing multiple operational teams or projects,
• Proven ability to positively influence to drive results in achieving goals and objectives,
• Strong influencing skills.
• Customer / Patient Focus
• Developing Direct Reports & Others
• Interpersonnal Savvy
• Managerial Courage
• Managing and Measuring Work
• Strategic Agility
• Organizational Agility
• Building Effective Teams
• Process Management
• Problem Solving