This position has primary responsibility for managing the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) processes for a facility. Promotes EHS awareness with the emphasis on preventing incidents and protecting the environment. Responsible for recognizing and assessing hazards in the work place and recommending corrective measures. Works with plant personnel and Corporate EHS to ensure compliance with applicable regulations (OSHA, EPA, etc.) and implementation of best practices. Manages internal EHS systems and completes required reports and notifications. Conducts EHS training and coaching as necessary.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Process Management: Implement all elements of the WI Safety Improvment Process. Facilitate the use of the Safeworks 8-step process for improving safety and environmental performance. Ensure EHS systems are implemented and maintained effectively. Resposible for developing and implementing cost reduction and continuous improvement projects.
- Training: Educate employees on the regulatory standards applicable to the facility. Instruct all employees on internal EHS policy and procedures. Ensure required safety and environmental training has been identified and completed for new and existing employees. Oversee and implement Safeworks 8-Step training where applicable. Ensure completion of ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 related training.
- Risk Assessment: Ensure all job functions have appropriate risk assessments completed using Safety Failure Modes & Effect Analysis (SFMEA) or Job Safety Analysis (JSA). Implement appropriate measures to minimize risk including the use of engineering controls where possible. Ensure all necessary personal protective equipment has been identified and is used as required. Coordinate all necessary industrial health and audiometric monitoring.
- Compliance: Ensure compliance with all EHS related laws and regulations. Maintain injury records and post safety related information as required. Maintain written programs to ensure they are up to date and follow Corporate models. Manage environmental permits and ensure proper completion of records and reports. Complete all safety and environmental related testing as required. Inspect property, equipment, and work practices for compliance with regulatory and insurance carrier standards.
- Communication: Manage, support and provide direction to the safety council. Complete internal incident notifications in accordance with company policy. Ensure all hazardous areas and conditions are identified and communicated to employees using appropriate visual and audio techniques. Communicate performance toward company goals for safety and the environment. Interface with external regulatory contacts (Federal, State, and Local) as necessary.
- Vendor Management: Responsible for vendor selection, contract management and relationships.
- Incident Investigation: Oversee incident investigation process to identify root causes. Ensure proper documentation of findings and implementation of corrective actions. Enforce company policy related to drug testing and disciplinary action.
Critical Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Strong knowledge of environmental, health and safety compliance
- Must exhibit strong leadership and management skills
- Must possess strong organization and record keeping skills
- Must have solid understanding of safety policies and procedures
- Must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of plant personnel
- Able to present material to groups
- Strong MS Office knowledge
Education / Training Required
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Five years of related experience
- Continuing education required (ISO Training, OTJ, Regulatory Training).