Manage, develop and oversee all aspects of directing a cost effective EHS (Environmental Health and Safety) related activities at the facility in support of Ply Gem policies and values. Continuously promote a safe working environment for all associates and comply with all applicable federal, state and local safety and environmental regulations.
- Plan, organize and lead the plant's environmental, health, and safety management systems and continuous improvement activities.
- Plan and control budgeted EHS expenditures always seeking ways to cut spending without sacrificing the quality or effectiveness of EHS programs.
- Perform safety audits as required.
- Measure and openly report on EHS performance metrics.
- Develop and maintain EHS-related written programs/policies/procedures, including but not limited to: Lockout-Tagout, Confined Space Entry, Mobile Equipment, Fall Protection, Electrical Safety, Hearing Conservation, Hazard Communication, Personal Protective Equipment, Emergency Action Plan, Bloodborne Pathogens, Waste Management, Spill Response, Storm Water, etc.
- Effectively manage all EHS-related cases, including incident investigation, corrective actions, documentation, and reportingto internal/external parties as appropriate.
- Manage the location worker's compensation program.
- Developing associates' technical, organizational, interpersonal and group dynamic skills.
- Understand the needs and interests of other departments, and work with those departments to achieve mutually acceptable results.
- Integrate EHS needs with other departments.
- Supervise the maintenance of all material safety data sheets (MSDS's) to ensure they are up-to-date and readily accessible at all times.
- Maintain employee industrial hygiene (IH) monitoring and related records.
- Develop safety materials for toolbox meetings and classroom/hands-on training. Develop annual training plans based on the needs of each department.
- Manage site compliance with all applicable safety and environmental company policies, regulations and/or permits tominimize risks to employees and the organization.
- Ensure that the facility remains in compliance with OSHA, EPA and DOT regulations, as well as Ply Gem's EHS standards.
- Ensure that all required reports are submitted to meet Ply Gem and government (EPA, OSHA, etc.) requirements.
- Write articles for the employee newsletter, as applicable. Ensure that all required documentation is accurate and properly maintained to remain in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Prepare and submit all required environmental reports in a timely manner.
- Assist Human Resource (HR) Manager in new employee orientation process, substance abuse program, and employee return-to-work program.
- Assist plant personnel with the evaluation of hazards in theworkplace, as well as the implementation of adequate and effective layers of protection to mitigate these hazards.
- Serves as designated leader of the facility safety team and works the Plant Manager and facility managers/supervisors toachieve facility and company objectives.
- Plant resource to local and state agencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in occupational safety and health, environmental science, engineering, or other related technical field. Board certified ASP, OHST, CSP, QEP, CIH or Industrial Hygienist preferred.
Three to five years working experience in EHS in a manufacturing environment. Familiarity and working knowledge of Federal and State laws and regulations. Experience in conducting hazardous assessments and problem solving. Good working knowledge ofregulatory standards (OSHA, EPA, DOT, NFPA fire codes, ANSI standards, etc.).
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent management skills, and the ability to prioritize and multi-task. Good interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to translate highlytechnical information to a non-technical audience. Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access. Budgeting and planning skills.
Desired competencies: Initiative, self-confidence, desire to learn, critical thinking, judgment, attention to detail, collaboration, drive for change, integrity, honesty, ethics and vision.
Moderate travel required (20%-30%).