The EHS Manager, NA is responsible for the development, implementation and management of all effective safety, health and environmental programs within the Division’s middle GA region. He or she will provide strategic direction and leadership for the NA region’s initiatives, aligning with corporate direction and customizing to local needs. This role is based in Sandersville GA and leads a small team of direct reports.
The EHS Manager, NA will also be the primary point of contact for the division's N. America management team for reporting and analysis, as well as champion best practices. There is also the opportunity to lead regular touchpoints (calls and/or meetings) with the EHS personnel in each of those regions to connect.
This role is intended to be a succession role for the incumbent EHS Manager and will work along-side the incumbent until his departure.
The geographical scope of the role covers the North America region, but has global visibility and involvement. Responsibility also included leading the Divisional reporting regarding environmental and global safety data.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Champion and promote a strong safety and compliance culture, implementing programs to ensure employee safety and company regulatory compliance
- Initiate activities designed to empower plant and site managers and employees to lead safety efforts within their location, working closely with HR and key directors, vendors or stakeholders to drive consistency and relevance
- Manage all environmental aspects to include permitting, reporting and management of regulatory changes.
- Active participation to the discussion on corporate EHS initiatives and policies while implementing them regionally or locally
- Development of EHS actions plan for the division in full alignment with corporate policies
- Implementation support for the division sites for all EHS programs
- Manage specific product stewardships to include author/manager of SDS and approval of EHS regulatory responses to customers and stakeholders.
Safety Strategy & Performance:
- Monthly and quarterly reporting of EHS KPIs
- Benchmarking between sites on leading and lagging indicators
- Participation to the corporate EHS auditing program
- EHS Auditing of the division's N. America sites based on EHS priorities
- Specific support and improvement planning for underperforming sites when applicable
- Provide analysis of significant risks to leadership by evaluating the effectiveness of initiatives through safety assessments and compiling/interpreting data to identify gaps. Develop and implement action plans to mitigate risks.
- Ensure accurate and timely internal and external reporting on safety metrics
Safety Incidents & Enforcement:
- Develop, implement and lead incident response plans and train staff to implement those plans
- Be a visible evangelist for the safety culture, help communicate key initiatives, best practices, data and how Division and regions are aligning to corporate plans
- Help develop and deliver meaningful and innovative safety training programs
Work with communications and key leaders to disseminate safety and health messages to employees and key stakeholders
The full accountability for the EHS results lies with Operations. The EHS action plan will be developed in collaboration with the regional Operations leaders in full alignment with corporate policies and guidelines. The action plan will also cover specific training needs for operators and – more importantly – supervisors, as well as a set of safety related KPIs (LTA FR, number of safety interaction, number of incident reports per employee….)
On a regular basis the job holder will visit sites to conduct safety audits and safety interactions.
Education and Experience requirements
(Educational requirements should be the minimum level acceptable for the position. Experience should describe both type and amount of necessary qualifying experience. Also note any professional licenses required)
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety Management, Industrial Hygiene or related field
- Master’s degreepreferred
- MSHA experience
- 10 years professional work experience in EHS within a global manufacturing environment
- 5+ years of supervisory and leadership experience
- Proven ability to achieve regulatory compliance in manufacturing
- Knowledge of safety management systems and practical application on the field
- Master continuous improvement methods and tools
- Strong background in EHS and manufacturing
- Ability to lead through influence with strong desire to interact with field based employees and organizations
- Strong in-person, verbal and written communication – compelling and data driven; able to communicate the big picture and also the detailed actions depending on audience
- Ability to work well and be effective with all levels of the organization
- Highly developed interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, ability to lead and manage in matrixed environment
- Outstanding ability to advocate and gain trust at all levels of organization
- Holds self and others accountable for delivering high quality results; conveys a sense of urgency about addressing problems and opportunities
- Consistently sets and accomplishes ambitious goals that contribute to the business success; directs change while maintaining operating effectiveness
- Makes timely decisions balancing the customer and the bottom line impact
- Ability to travel globally (estimated 35% travel)
- Excellent understanding of NA laws, regulations and governance requirements that relate to EHS
- Strategic leader with proven track record leading, implementing safety function and driving change while holding strong business perspective.