JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for management and implementation of the UO EHS Contractor Safety Program to include contractor/vendor performance reviews, pre-construction meetings, onsite contractor inspections/audits, technical guidance and acts as a liaison between EHS, Project Teams and the general contractor, design review and construction standardization. Consults with all levels of the Project Teams, to validate designs and construction throughout the project development and build out meet regulation, UPR and Corporate standards. Manages EHS responsibilities on construction sites, which include action planning, incident investigation, risk assessments, safety initiatives, and overall compliance for regulations and established policies and procedures.
- Pre-Construction Phase: Review concept packages and consult on the development of the construction documents with the Project Teams and Facility Management. Manage EHS contractor pre-qualification process and evaluates contractor against established EHS performance protocols. Participate in pre-construction meetings, communicating UO EHS Contractor Safety expectations to contractors and Project Team. Conduct UO Contractor Orientation in alignment with written program. Evaluate EHS logistics with general contractors, vendors for site/construction, and the Project Teams with regards to site access, insurance, site EHS requirements.
- Design Phase: Consult with Project Manager and Facility Management to review various design phase submittals which impact EHS programs. Review project design documents for corporate and/or regulatory compliance, coordinates and compiles a list of comments from EHS subject matter experts. Review the existing facility status to evaluate potential issues to be addressed by the design documents. Attend design progress review meetings.
- Demolition/Construction Phase: Manage the Construction Specialist to ensure compliance with UO EHS Contractor Safety Program through participation in regular meetings and site inspections of the general contractors with the Project Team documenting the results in weekly inspections or daily observations in Gensuite. Facilitate and maintains effective communication mechanisms between contractors/vendors, project management teams and EHS business lines throughout the project phase regarding project submittals, timelines, plans, construction schedule, and change management to facilitate compliance with regulations and EHS construction specifications. Develop punch lists, incorporating regulatory and corporate compliance items for correction. Support Project Manager with incident investigations, concern reports, and emergent issues relating to EHS compliance.
- Closeout Phase: Manage overall EHS punch list and close out process for the facility. Participate in the overall project post mortem. Prepare documents for review for EHS project sign offs as necessary.
SCOPE: Non-routine; general policies applied to frequently changing situations. Influences decisions of moderate nature requiring high degree of tact.
- Facilitates team ownership of projects producing project compliance through effective collaboration.
- Conduct routine inspections/audits of all assigned work areas throughout property under construction or rehab.
- Responsible for resolving high risk level compliance problems using experience or outside resources as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate general UO policies are applied to frequently changing situations.
- Ensure any required training offsite is scheduled and means provided for contractor labor and required UPR staff to attend.
- Review of new equipment or plans for development of compliance procedures or processes.
- Responsible for communication and partnerships with various departments to ensure success of projects involving UPR, Contractor Labor or EHS Technical compliance.
- Respond and coordinate resources in a timely manner to clients regarding high risk, construction, and technical concerns and requests for service and to ensure client expectations are met or exceeded.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities (KSAs) required.
- Read and determine the applications for both US and International regulations and consensus standards.
- Demonstrate familiarity with ANSI/ASSE/NFPA/OSHA Management standards and UO Safety Management Systems.
- Ability to budget, plan and organize processes and teams of people, maintain schedules, develop and communicate summary reports to executive levels of the business.
- Strong analytical skills necessary to resolve and interpret problems associated with high level risk assessments.
- Understand basic operational concepts related to High Risk Operation, Risk assessments, Contractor Management and Operational Safety.
- Ability to communicate effectively with business leaders, non-technical staff and members of interdisciplinary staff.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to compose spreadsheets, written briefings for distribution to all levels.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Must be able to effectively manage multiple tasks and ensure compliance with each.
- Must work well with others and be a self-starter.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree required; specifically in an EHS or Construction Management discipline; or 5 – 7 years relevant work experience.
- 5 – 7 years' relevant construction/project management experience.
- Experience with managing Technical staff.
- Experience with plans review and regulatory interpretations or equivalent combination of education and experience.