Job Description Summary
The EHS Manager – [Business Unit] is responsible for management and performance of the Environmental, Health, and Safety function for the BDPI Business Unit. They lead the network of EHS associates across sites in the business unit in order to track and measure performance, assess capability levels and identify common areas of EHS risks that can be managed across sites through program implementation. They provide ongoing support to site EHS associates to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulation across sites in the BDPI portfolio. The EHS Manager is a key advisor for the senior operations leader for the business unit, ensuring that EHS aspects are considered in the business's operations strategy (ex. architecture / process changes).
- Provides oversight to the level of EHS resourcing at the site level based on the nature of operations; and focuses on capability building across site level EHS associates in the BDPI network.
- Establishes systems to track and report EHS performance metrics to BU Operations leaders; Engages BU Operations LT on EHS matters to ensure a strong culture of associate safety and environmental management.
- Assists sites with injury/incident investigations; Ensures proper root cause analysis is performed, that safety alerts are written up and distributed and that corrective actions are address across the BDPI network of sites.
- Collaborates with Corporate EHS staff on the development of policies, goals and programs; leads the implementation of policies/programs with site EHS staff.
- Conducts site visits across the BDPI network to provide coaching/training on EHS capability building; and to support and advise sites in the event of significant changes (ex. construction / process changes).
- Works with plant managers / site leadership to evaluate the performance of site EHS associates and programs, and to provide support in the recruitment and hiring of EHS professionals for any openings at the site level.
- Establishes mechanisms to periodically review policies, programs, and metrics to ensure alignment of EH&S strategies with business needs.
- Advises sites in the BDPI portfolio in the event of government agency inspections (i.e. OSHA or EPA) and in any procedures that may follow a citation. Acts as a liaison between the site and Corporate EHS and Legal, when correspondence is needed with government agencies.
- Keeps abreast of changes to EHS regulations that may impact BDPI operations; Initiates changes to practices and procedures to support compliance requirements.
Degree of Accountability (discretion/supervision)
- Direct influence and responsibility EHS compliance and performance across all [XX] sites.
- Direct influence on plans and project priorities for UCC for which there is an EHS impact. Provides leadership and direction to Plant Managers on EHS resourcing and capabilities at the site level.
- Direct influence on programs / policies coming from Corporate EHS; participates on projects and forums convened by Corporate EHS.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Management or Occupational Safety and Health or related degree. At least 5 years of experience managing EHS at the site level.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred to ensure continuing education of current EH&S trends and knowledge.
- Experience designing and implementing strategies/programs/processes that supports a business strategy.
- Ability to travel (~25-30%)