The Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Manager position is a broad role and is responsible to ensure a safe and environmentally compliant work environment for all Company locations while maintaining compliance with all local, state and federal regulations. This position is responsible to plan, direct, and implement EHS programs, including workplace safety, risk management, security services, and supporting the development and implementation of company-wide sustainability and environmental strategies, policies, and trainings. The job function includes providing direction on environmental regulatory compliance and maintaining company-wide environmental, sustainability, and accident-free key performance metrics to support continuous improvement toward Company goals.
This position supervises and provides guidance and direction to the Sustainability & SQF Specialist, Farm Manager, and the security team, and works closely with all department within the Company.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Safety & Security duties include the following:
Responsible for monitoring and evaluating the workplace to ensure compliance with OSHA and related regulations.
- Plans, develops, administers, and manages organization safety and security policies, programs and training.
- Identify best practices and lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process risks, raise safety awareness and improve safe work practices.
- Facilitate a work environment that supports a safe and healthy culture
- Conduct or coordinate worker training in areas such as safety laws and regulations, hazardous condition monitoring and use of safety equipment
- Perform safety audits and inspect facilities, machinery and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance
- Investigate accidents, near-miss accidents, and occupational injuries to determine causes, install preventive measures, and manage return-to-work activities
- Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring to employees on safety initiatives and necessary changes
- Coordinate employee safety programs to determine their adequacy including review of short- and long-term strategic safety planning and development
- Develop, recommend and implement workers' compensation policies and procedures; recommend and implement goals and objectives
- Process and review worker's compensationclaims, recommending loss control strategies, ensure conformance to applicable laws and regulations while maintaining a high level of customer service
- Order and maintain facility safety inventory including supplies and equipment
- Measure and evaluate effectiveness of safety and security policies
- Organize and maintain requiredreports and records
- Lead the Company's Safety Teams.
- Manage on-site security service provider(s) to ensure they meet Company standards and requirements.
- Develops and implements corporate security standards, policies and practices
- Able to attend to and resolve safety and security issues promptly, effectively and independently
- Establish effective networks within the company and with external organizations
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Environmental & Sustainability duties include the following:
- Stay updated with local, state, and federal environmental regulations.
- Promote and raise awareness, at all levels of the organization, of the impact of emerging environmental issues, whether legislative or best practice, on corporate, ethical and social responsibility
- Develop and enforce environmental guidelines and practices.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive ethical sourcing policy and operational goals. Take the lead on sustainable procurement for all good and services,
- Coordinate all aspects of pollution control, waste management, recycling, environmental health, conservation and renewable energy.
- Generate environmental reports as requested by regulatory agencies.
- Prepare permit applications and agreements as needed by regulatory agencies.
- Obtain, modify and renew environmental permits and licenses.
- Conduct regular environmental inspections, investigate environmental accidents and propose preventative and/or corrective action.
- Participate in waste minimization efforts and lean EHS initiatives.
- Participation in system auditing, environmental reviews, and establishing the objectives for measuring the effectiveness of the system.
- Negotiate environmental service agreements and manage associated costs and revenues.
- Coordinate the activities of Company Emergency Response Team.
- Manage key sustainability performance metrics and communicate those throughout the company, including regular reporting.
- Support continuous improvement toward sustainability targets by managing data for goal-setting, building a system for sharing best practices, and supporting the implementation of sustainability projects in
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal safety laws and the ability to identify and evaluate workplace hazards.
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal environmental regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated record of successful implementation of sustainability programs. Deep understanding of concepts of conservation and sustainable development, including energy conservation, waste management, resource and water conservation, and environmental reporting metrics.
- Ability to build internal relationships and effectively communicate with stakeholders.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills, as well as the ability to educate and train internal stakeholders at all levels in the organization.
- Knowledge of OSHA, EPA, and applicable regulatory agencies.
- First Aid and CPR certified.
- 7+ years' experience working in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience training and leading teams and employees in a cross functional environment.
- Ability to communicate with, and represent the Company's interests to, governmental regulatory agencies.
- Advanced analytical skills in managing and interpreting large datasets.
- Proficient with MS Office, especially Excel.
- A self-motivator with a strong work ethic and the ability to work independently.
- Analytically inclined.
- Superior communication and time management skills
- Thorough knowledge of applicable regulations (OSHA, HAZCOM, ETC.)
This is a consumer goods/food manufacturing company - growing rapidly
California candidates preferred. Will relocate candidates from within California