Requisition Number: 37110
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning's Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
In this role, you will be responsible for promoting a safe and healthy work environment for all plant employees, visitors and contractors. The Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Engineer will help drive continuous improvement in overall EH&S performance while promoting an interdependent organizational culture. The intent of this role is to lead and effectively integrate EH&S processes/programs into the overall plant strategy.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Incident management
- Plant safety committee(s)
- Process Safety Management
- Radiation Safety
- EH&S Inspections and auditing
- Hazard Identification and Risk Assessments (Potential Problem Analyses, Job Safety Analyses, Process Hazard Analyses, etc.)
- Emergency Response
- EH&S training program development and implementation
- ISO 14001
- Employee engagement
- EH&S strategy development and execution (short and long-term goals)
- Subject Matter Resource development and integration
- Project Management
- Less than 5% of the time.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Your typical work schedule will be 8-5pm, M-F although you should expect to have flexibility for off shift and weekend coverage.
- You are also expected to support project assignments that may occasionally require onsite work outside of normal hours.
- Bachelor's degree in Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Engineering or related field of study
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum 5+ years of EH&S experience in a manufacturing environment, research and development environment or consulting
- Knowledge of OSHA/EPA and other relevant regulations and standards
- Excellent problem-solving skills (DMAIC, DESGN)
- Excellent social skills and leading teams in a collaborative environment
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Excellent presentation skills
- Effective management of competing priorities based on risk
- Integrating aspects of EH&S management into the overall operation of the plant
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Associate Safety Professional (ASP) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Your verbal and written communication skills as well as attention to detail and ability to handle ambiguity will be significant skills for success.
- We value a positive teammate who is customer-focused, open and approachable to effectively collaborate in teams in a multi-cultural environment and across all levels of our organization.
- Are you able to lead and influence others (suppliers, managers, production associates, commercial partners etc.)?
- Are you a self-starter with the technical curiosity to learn new things and bring forth new ideas?
- Does your flexibility and dedication to succeed support a positive can-do attitude?
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.