Talley Metals Technology Inc., a Carpenter Technology Corporation subsidiary acquired in 1997, is a mini-mill supplying a variety of sizes and specifications of high-quality round, square and hexagonal stainless steel bars for distribution. In addition to manufacturing, Talley also operates a large distribution facility at the same location in Hartsville, South Carolina.
EHS ENGINEER – Hartsville, South Carolina
- With limited to no direction, identifies, analyzes and controls occupational hazards and promotes worksite or product safety by applying knowledge of industrial processes, mechanics, psychology, physiology, and industrial health, safety and environmental laws.
- Advises on structural safety requirements based on failure mode analysis of such factors as fatigue, stability, stress, concentration and creep.
- Designs protective equipment or safety devices for machines, and the redesign of machines and plant equipment to eliminate occupational hazards.
- Reviews proposed occupational safety policies, guidelines and standards to determine their consistency with accepted engineering principles and practices, and recommends technical changes as needed.
- Recommends and implements new or revised occupational safety policies, guidelines and standards. Drives facility culture change with human performance tools and develops/audit serious injury and fatality prevention programs.
- Leads moderately complex multi-disciplinary project teams to design and implement EHS related projects. Project management includes high technical ability for design, cost estimating and budget tracking.
- Maintain and apply knowledge of current policies, regulations and industrial processes to determine compliance with standards. Recommend process and product safety features that will reduce employees’ exposure to chemical, physical and biological hazards.
- Inspect facilities, machinery and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance. Leads the installation of safety devices or machinery.
- Investigate industrial accidents, injuries or occupational diseases to determine root cause and preventative measures. Report or review findings from accident investigations, facilities inspections, or environmental testing. Identifies information by categorizing, estimating recognizing differences or similarities and detecting changes. Conducts audits, write reports, presents findings and recommendations and tracks corrective actions.
- Perform all other duties and special projects as required.
- Four-year degree in related Safety Science or Engineering field. CSP, CIH or other professional certifications preferred. Graduate level degree in related field preferred. 5 – 8 years of experience in safety related discipline, preferable in a manufacturing environment. Knowledge of applicable local, state and federal laws and practical application of engineering science and technology.
- Requires demonstrated experience to independently lead moderately complex to large complex, multi-disciplinary project teams successfully with proven delivered results on plan and within budget.
- Proven success is driving EHS culture change using human performance tools and developing prevention programs. Ability to drive safety in the workplace and solve a range of problems in straightforward situations; analyze possible solutions and assess each using standard procedures.
- Experience with some or all of the following: air pollutant sampling, air pump sampling, dynamometers, sound measuring apparatus, respirator fit testing.
- Candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions and approaches toproblems.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and make appropriate decisions. Ability to work under frequently changing priorities.
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.