EHS Director, Safety and Occupational Health
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services.The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries. Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
Global Safety and Occupational Health leader - Occupational Health includes health promotion, case management and ergonomics as well as the traditional components of workplace-related health. Leads the development and deployment of strategy, policies and resources for the Safety and Occupational Health functions globally. Ensures that all policies comply with applicable global regulations, company policies, and ISO 45001 Management Systems which support the fulfillment of Baxter’s vision for Safety and Occupational Health. Leads a team of Safety and Occupational Health professionals to ensure the attainment of the company's Safety and Occupational Health goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide overall vision and direction for the global Safety and Occupational Health functions through the establishment of sound policies and strategies.
- Develop goals and objectives to support continuous improvement in Safety and Occupational Health.
- Lead teams of professionals and/or project teams to support global deployment of Safety and Occupational Health policies and program components.
- Establish communication strategies and channels to effectively deploy Safety and Occupational Health best practice initiatives on a global basis.
- Develop and implement tactical plans and resources to support key functional objectives.
- Design, develop, conduct and manage global educational programs.
- Develop, compile and report appropriate metrics to track the impact of Safety and Occupational Health programs on the global business.
- Provide information and direction to management in identifying opportunities, problems and components of potential threat to our business.
- Serve as a business partner and consultant to reduce risk, maximize productivity and promote recovery in the areas of Safety and Occupational Health. Advise and guide senior leadership on critical Safety and Occupational Healthissues.
- Significant contributor to the creation and deployment of the EHSS strategy and sustainability goals.
- Cultivate an environment where others value and support a strong Safety and Occupational Health culture, promoting employee wellbeing and creating a zero-harm workplace.
- Represent the company in global and national professional forums.
- Actively benchmark and introduce new approaches to significantly improve existing methods / techniques.
- Support Baxter’s threat management and business continuity efforts.
- Proven ability to deliver Safety and Occupational Health results across a global business through collaboration and promoting the leadership of others.
- Successful track record of interpersonal and leadership skills with ability to interface well with other corporate functions. Leads effectively and efficiently in a team environment to deliver results.
- Must be able to work effectively with people at all levels inside and outside Baxter. Strong communication skills including professional writing and the ability to prepare technical reports. Ability to respond to detailed inquiries and present information to groups and senior leaders.
- Demonstrates superior training and presentation skills.
- In-depth technical knowledge of Safety and Occupational Health.
- Advanced ability to accurately interpret OSHA recordkeeping requirements and support others in doing so.
Education and/or Experience
B.S. Degree in Environmental, Safety, Engineering or related field (including public health or occupational health) required; M.S. Degree in Environmental or Safety Engineering or Technology preferred
Minimum of 10 years of related experience which should include 5 years of people management experience. Experience should include leading at a global level for a manufacturing organization, preferably the medical device or pharma industry, or other government regulated industry (aerospace, auto, etc.)
Must be conversant in applicable EHS&S regulations
Professional certification in Safety and/or Occupational Health preferred. (i.e. CSP, CIH, or COHN-S)