This position will be accountable for partnering with leaders from their client group(s) to develop strategic goals to ensure compliance, build a safety culture and mitigate and manage risks. This work will include proactively identifying EHS-related risks, opportunities, trends and assessing performance. This Senior EHS Business Partner/Supervisor will also be accountable for recommending sustainable solutions and engaging the resources needed to address complex challenges while supporting the client's business objectives.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in the practical application of multi- disciplinary EHS programs, is strategic and excels at engaging with all levels of the organization to drive EHS initiatives.
In representing EHS, this individual must bring a generalist level of expertise across EHS disciplines and the seasoned judgment to guide decisions given potential implications to Genentech's right to operate.
- Provides strategic and technical support for a variety of EHS programs within all business units. Interprets and successfully implements applicable EHS programs with client groups.
- Interacts regularly with senior leadership on EHS-related implications of business unit operations, goals, and projects. Works closely with the EHS team, other EHS business partners, clients from the business units, and key service providers to identify EHS-related risks, opportunities and trends, assess performance, and develop sustainable solutions to complex problems while supporting the client's business objectives.
- Implements strategies for managing EHS compliance, risks, and embedding a safety culture based on an in-depth knowledge of Genentech's operations and EHS risk profiles for the business unit(s).
- Reviews incident data to identify trends, develop and implement incident prevention initiatives, and monitor EHS performance. Facilitates root cause analyses and incident investigations, as required.
- Delegates routine programmatic tasks to EHS generalists to support the ongoing success of EHS program implementation across all GNE SSF business units. Shares EHS generalist resources with other program managers and business partners.
- Identifies and leads business process improvement initiatives to drive improvement within the EHS function and the client's function.
- Develops and continuously improves the business unit's safety culture, drive continuous improvement, and strategically address EHS issues.
- Assists clients with the assignment of EHS training and monitors EHS training completion. Works with site EHS program managers to improve training materials and effectiveness within the business units supported.
- Develops and conducts a robust and lean EHS inspection program for the business units supported, identifies trends, develops sustainable solutions to prevent EHS incidents and non-compliances.
- Performs risk assessments for specific job tasks using Roche/Genentech EHS guidelines. Works with teams to develop and implement timely, valuable, and cost-effective EHS solutions.
- Establishes and tracks meaningful EHS metrics and presents to client's senior leadership on a regular basis. Collaborates with stakeholders to develop sustainable plans to improve EHS performance while supporting the client's business objectives.
- Leads engagement and communications with clients and EHS staff regarding EHS activities and performance.
- Collaborates and partners with other EHS staff (business partners, program managers, and generalists) to develop and implement programs and strategies for the clients. This may include participating in agile teams focused on creating value for the business.
- Manages, coaches, and/or mentors EHS generalists, program managers or other business partners.
- Serves as needed as a Safety Officer during disaster/emergency response and recovery efforts. May also be required to serve as EHS Advisor (technical expert) for the emergency response team during company-related emergencies.
Competencies Identified for Success:
- Thorough knowledge of safety and environmental regulations, codes and standards, including OSHA, EPA, DOT, NIOSH, FDA and other regulatory requirements applicable to cGMP and non-GMP environments.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; able to multi-task and develop solutions to complex problems.
- Possesses detailed working knowledge of applicable Roche/Genentech, federal, state and local EHS guidelines, standards and regulations.
- Strategic and forward-thinker, who can identify future needs of the organization, and consider the best solution/outcome for EHS, the client, and Genentech. Skilled at listening deeply to key stakeholders, considering their needs along with regulatory requirements and best practices to make informed decisions.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to effectively develop clear and concise messages from complex data, present to senior leadership and staff, and quickly gain trust. Can translate data into actionable insights and communicates in a way that resonates—inspiring people to care.
- Exercises independent judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining exceptional results to a variety of complex problems. Performs work with limited direction.
- Highly effective team player and collaborator. Strong comfort working in a matrix and agile environment where expertise is leveraged across functions.
- Effective at reframing challenges into opportunities. Track record of being resilient and adaptable in navigating organizational resistance and influencing others to adopt new behaviors and approaches. Champion for EHS.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Education: BA/BS in occupational safety, environmental/health sciences or related field.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience, preferably in pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device or high tech industries.
- Certification in one or more of the following areas is strongly preferred: Certified Safety Professional, Certified Safety Manager, and/or Project Management Professional.
- This position is not eligible for relocation.