To lead and direct the environmental, health, and safety efforts at the Marble Falls, TX facility. To optimize the performance in EHS initiatives that assist the HEM Sector in achieving the status of a world class organization. To identify, manage, direct, and audit the systems required to limit risk factors leading to environmental mishaps, compliance violations, job-related injury or illness, property damage, and bad public relations. To support the creation of a proactive EHS strategy that will drive this location in becoming an environmentally sustainable enterprise. To participate as a functional expert/resource for the Marble Falls location and other HEM locations as requested. Aid in the development and implementation of location specific EHS policies, procedures and programs. Ensure that compliance related activities such as environmental permits requirements, EHS training, are robust and maintained.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads and directs the environmental programs including the Minimum Mandatory Standards and Requirements (MMSR) for the Marble Falls location. Works closely with the EHS Director – HEM to develop, sell, and implement strategic plans for EHS environmental compliance and performance improvement for this location. Works to ensure employee engagement and participation in the environmental programs.
- Manages the environmental, health and safety compliance program for the Marble Falls location. Analyzes performance metrics for the site and implements tactical plans for compliance and performance improvement; and provides consultation for compliance for other SBU’s as directed by the EHS Director - HEM.
- Provides direct assistance and training to site supervisors and coordinators in all matters pertaining to environmental, health, and safety performance and regulatory compliance. Develops, implements and conducts training programs at the Marble Falls site to ensure employee understanding, acceptance, and compliance with EPA, MSHA, state of Texas requirements and HEM EHS policies and procedures.
- Conducts and manages EHS audits and benchmarking exercises for the Marble Falls location. Provides technical counsel and practical advice to site management for correcting, improving, and designing best practices for environmental, health, and safety compliance or process improvement. Participates and supports EHS audit functions in other HEM locations as requested.
- Develops written annual environmental and safety plans to improve the safety culture, reduce injuries, minimize environmental compliance violations, and maximize environmental stewardship and sustainability. Works to ensure employee engagement in the safety culture.
- Coordinates monthly, quarterly, and annual recordkeeping for Marble Falls site for all required company reports for all EHS metrics including environmental (HEPI), health (HHI), and safety (DTZ) performance metrics. Assists in developing additional proactive metrics as required for continuous improvement.
- Leads and/or coordinates, as required, environmental and safety incident investigations at the Marble Falls site using proven investigation techniques. Conducts follow up audits to ensure that corrective actions are taken following an environmental or safety incident.
- Ensures that the Marble Falls location has a written Disaster Recovery and Crisis Communication plan that enhances the company's relations with workers, customers, community, media, and the general public. Leads, coordinates, or participates in periodic drills. When called upon, directs crisis communication activities with the assistance of plant management and communications professionals.
- Performs and/or coordinates industrial hygiene and environmental sampling and monitors to ensure compliance with governmental regulations and best practices for both safety and environmental regulations.
- Develops, implements, and conducts (where appropriate) employee training for safety and environmental regulations as directed by OSHA, MSHA, the EPA, the State of Texas or other appropriate regulatory agencies. Ensures employee understanding, acceptance, and compliance with HEM policies and procedures.
Additional Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Facilitates communication at the Marble Falls site to share safety and environmental best practices and key learnings from AARs, incident investigations and experience. Coordinates communication between all other plants where appropriate.
- Actively participate in the weekly EH&S teleconference and quarterly/semi-annual meetings. Attend the appropriate engineering meetings as the EHS representative. Provides advice and counsel to engineering on the implications of project and process changes concerning environmental permits and the safety and health hazards associated with proposed changes. Ensures that the Chemical Baton procedure is followed.
- May be called on to lead lobbying activities to promote HEM’s global business objectives.
- Manages and directs activities (including reports) from EHS consultants and contractors. Recommends and ensures the efficient and appropriate use of EHS consultants and contractors at the Marble Falls site.
- Provides support and advice and cross-trains with other EHS managers within HEM and other business sectors within Huber.
- Other activities as directed by the Plant Manager or the EHS Director - HEM.
Decision Making Authority
- Advises upper management on courses of action to resolve regulatory conflicts, or to implement control technology. Cost of control equipment can exceed $1,000,000. Fines can exceed $25,000/day.
- Approves policies and procedures for EHS documentation at the local sites.
- Has authority to negotiate environmental permit (i.e., contract) terms and conditions that may limit the site’s ability to produce certain products, affect processing rates, or result in fines and penalties due to their inability to meet those terms. Authority to negotiate settlement of compliance penalties with environmental or safety regulatory agencies.
- Authority to promote EHS principles and compliance with site management and to tactfully elevate disagreements to higher sector authority.
- Empowered to represent HEM’s interest on trade association technical committees, as requested by the EHS Director – HEM.
Specialized/Technical Knowledge or Required Skills
- Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, CHMM or in process to achieve certification or ability to become certified is a plus.
- 5+ years with progressive responsibility and experience in safety (specifically MSHA experience), environmental, production and/or related careers with at least 2 years of successful management experience (plant safety director/department management).
- Implementation of safety or environmental management systems RCMS, OSHAS 18000, and knowledge of ISO 14000, etc.
- Competent Training Experience
- Proven excellence in both written and oral communication.
- Ability to develop and implement strategic EHS processes.
- Proven skill in administering and managing EHS at multiple sites.
- Computer literate and skilled in Excel, Word, and Power Point.
- Incident investigation tools and techniques ECF, root cause analysis SCAT, etc.
MSHA required training will follow Marble Fall’s part 48 Training Plan including New Miner Training and annual refresher. Prior MSHA training will be accepted if proper Documentation can be produced.
Bachelors in Environmental Science or Environmental Science
Our employees are our strongest asset, and their safety, health, and well-being is our highest priority. We respect the individual by providing opportunities for professional and personal development. Our Principles drive us to create an inclusive workplace where employees share core values, show dignity and respect toward others, and work hard to achieve their best performance.
J.M. Huber Corporation is an EEO / AAP employer. Pre-employment drug screening is required