The Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Lead is responsible for leading the Environmental and Sustainability, Occupational Health, Safety (EHS) strategy for the Campbell’s Bakersfield and Prosser Plants and the C-Fresh AgOps. This position is responsible for implementing effective EHS programs, aligned with Global EHS, that enable the site to effectively identify and mitigate EHS risks and manage issues. This role will direct multidisciplinary and EHS programs in accordance with federal, state and local regulations and internal global standards to drive continual improvement and an incident free work environment.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight, aligned with Global EHS, for environmental, occupational health, safety, hygiene, occupation medical, and sustainability issues.
- Directs the environmental health and safety (EHS) programs for our operations at Bakersfield, CA, and Prosser, WA Plant locations.
- Leads EHS programs for our Agricultural Operations of more than 30,000 acres across multiple states including CA, WA, AZ, GA, and Canada and manages the EHS programs that cover our employees who we provide onsite residence.
- Implement programs and procedures to address existing and emerging environmental, health and safety issues related to operations, policies and regulations, including California, Washington, Arizona, Georgia, and Canada requirements.
- Supervises day to day operation of Medical Department, including the sites Family Medical Leave Administration (FMLA) coordination, worker’s compensation activity, the insurance carrier and the local medical community.
- Lead cross functional and multidisciplinary team to address EHS issues across sites & Ag ops, formulate strategic and tactical responses, and align leadership of impacts and mitigation strategies.
- Interprets and provides guidance on policies, legislation and documents related to various environmental health and safety initiatives to ensure compliance of all employees, equipment and facilities.
- Supports multiple leaders, and employees to ensure the site success to drive towards zero environmental and employee health & safety incidents.
- Develop, implement and enhance EHS policies and procedures to promote the well-being of employees to prevent incidents.
- Ensure that site regulatory and internal reporting is submitted timely, accurate and reproducible. Monitor site metrics and implement programs to address undesirable trends.
- Participate in global EHS audits as required by Global EHS Leadership
- Serves as subject matter lead for all areas relating to employee safety, environmental sustainability, and regulatory compliance.
- Member of the Bakersfield Site, Prosser Site and AgOps Leadership team.
- Provides coaching and direction to all supervisors and leadership on policy interpretation, driving decisions to meet legislative as well as established company policy requirements. Obtains direction and support from Global EHS.
- Implement an incident investigation methodology, aligned with Global EHS, at sites to ensure incidents are investigated and root causes are identified.
- Mobilizes leadership and sustains accountability to cultivate Campbell’s environmental & safety culture for total plant population.
- Participate in the Global EHS network (communities, conferences, audits) representing the site to develop and implement Campbell EHS programs and practices consistency throughout the organization
- Minimum education required: B. S. in Scientific, Engineering or technical discipline with 12+ years of relevant experience and 5+ years of direct supervision experience. (CPG experience preferred)
- Trained subject matter expertise with OSHA/EPA regulations, Professional certification CSP, CIH, CHP preferred
- Outcome focused leader who is organized and able to manage large complex projects
- Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Skilled in leading strategic initiatives, planning and management of change
- Knowledgeable in OSHA’s Process Safety Management and/or EPA’s Risk Management Plan Standards.
- Technical EHS skills: behavior-based principles, engineering, hazard recognition, risk assessment and worker compensation administration
- Business / financial knowledge
- Strategic planning
- Have a general understanding of production processes, equipment, systems typically found in a manufacturing environment
- Effective coaching, facilitation, presentation, team-building, and leadership skills