Fantastic career opportunity to be an editor for a top-five publisher and work with some of the most influential authors in Christian publishing. The Specialty Division at HarperCollins Christian Publishing is seeking an editor to manage children’s Bibles and some children’s and gift books. Duties include project management of children’s Bibles, both proprietary and author or ministry-driven, hiring and working with freelance writers, substantive editing, participation in the ideation and creation of compelling children’s Bibles, as well as production editing for children’s Bibles and children’s and gift books, including managing copyediting, proofreading, collating, style coding, and other editorial processes.
This editor will have the opportunity to work directly with authors to shape message and tone, as well as work with art directors and designers on design and illustration input. Book formats will include Bibles, Bible storybooks, board books, picture books, devotionals, and traditional gift books. The Specialty Division at Thomas Nelson publishes Sarah Young’s Jesus Calling as well as numerous other bestselling authors and titles.
- Manage multiple Bible and book projects while maintaining high standards of quality control and sticking to the production schedules.
- Copyedit, proofread, collate, and route cover copy, catalog copy, cover mechanicals, and other materials related to the editorial process of our Bibles and books.
- Collate and check proofs; copyedit and proofread miscellaneous material (e.g., front matter, back matter, indexes) and flap copy, mechanicals, and proofs.
- Recruit and hire freelance work-for-hire writers, copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers and oversee their work.
- Perform substantive and developmental editorial work on Bible material and select titles.
- Maintain provided budgets for editorial expenses (writers, copyeditors, proofreaders, indexers, typesetters), and code and route invoices and SOWs for work performed.
- Secure permissions, releases, and endorsements as needed.
- Develop excellent working relationships with authors and other departmental staff.
- Utilize Excel, MS Word, Word styles tagging, and Harper’s proprietary software; code and update electronic manuscripts for typesetting and design; make changes as needed between passes.
- Draft back cover copy, catalog copy, and other marketing copy as needed.
- Keen eye for market trends and voice for marketing/sales-style copy
Knowledge: Extensive knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style. Knowledge of Christian authors and publishing.
Work Experience: 4 years as an editor or 6 years as a professional copyeditor
Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Expert in Chicago Manual of Style
- Well versed in Bible stories and various Bible translations
- Working knowledge of popular Christian authors, key Christian ministries, and general Christian culture
- Ability to learn new systems quickly, such as Harper’s proprietary software, for editing and design
- Eagle-eyed at catching errors
- Good judgment regarding when to make a change and when to move something upline for approval
- Excellent at spelling and grammar
- Clear communicator
- Able to manage multiple projects with a variety of deadlines and complexity simultaneously
- Proven project management and organizational skills
- Superior knowledge of English grammar and high proficiency in Chicago Manual of Style
- Intermediate or higher skill set of Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Word
- Works cooperatively and pleasantly within a team
HarperCollins Christian Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer