The ALAM Engineering Drafting & Fabrication Manager will lead the design/build team composed of internal Draftspeople and the Engineering construction Group. The Drafting team is responsible for creation, updates and controlled storage of all P&ID’s, Layouts, and Electrical drawings. The Engineering Construction Group, does field design, assembles, fabricates and welds small bore tubing manifold systems for synthesis, purification, packaging and analysis of ALAM products. This role will leverage input from, Process Development, and all ALAM Engineering disciplines, Quality, and Safety functional groups and involve deploying first- and second-of-a-kind technology execution that are frequently outside of the normal structured project execution paradigms. This individual must be recognized as a highly skilled influencer within the organization. This position is based in Branchburg, NJ and reports to the ALAM Director of Design and Reliability.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages a team of Designers, Draftspeople and Fabricators.
- Responsible for the development and support of this team, growing their strengths, and supporting areas which need growth.
- Responsible for driving safety, quality, and operational excellence via efficient processes within this group.
- Manages the team in the development of documented standard practices, where possible adopting these standards from outside consortiums such as ISA, PIP, AICHE where necessary thru internal development.
- Develops the team, through a high feedback environment, with a culture respectfully delivered constructive and positive feedback.
- Using and improving measurement tools to track the teams performance and efficiency, leading root cause analysis, and corrective measures, where performance does not meet requirements.
- Displays a quantitative, fact-based approach to decision making, problem solving, and resource management.
- Leads the design build team through multiple concurrent projects and resolves complex problems.
- Maintains, improves, and creates systems engineering standards and specifications.
- Travels occasionally (20% expected) as needed.
- Collaborate with Leadership, other senior management and stakeholders to ensure the department’s deliverables support business goals
- Successfully complete; and ensure the team completes; all required training.
- Tracks hours to ensure the team is on time and on budget. Tracks with enough specificity to ensure this tracking can be used for better time and budget estimates in the future.
- BS in Chemical, Mechanical or Other applicable engineering discipline.
- 7+ years experience in chemical, mechanical or process engineering
- 5+ years experience managing designers,engineers, or technicians, including preparation of performance appraisals to direct reports
- Great Leadership skills, leads by example, leads by setting clear expectations, leads by empowering others, leads by use of positive and constructive feedback, leads by involving team members in decision making.
- Strong safety and quality skills and mindset; ability to drive positive safety and quality culture through actions and behaviors
- Ability to perform well under pressure and frequently changing priorities
- Superior problem solving and decision making skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and experience in preparing Engineering document packages.
- Knowledge of applicable codes (IFC, IBC, NFPA 30, API 520/521, etc.) and consensus standards related to hazardous materials manufacturing, usage, and storage
- Strong creativity and leadership when it comes to problem-solving
- Experience hiring and on-boarding high-performing individuals
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills, including the ability to influence subordinates, peers, and superiors through fact-based communications based on mutual respect.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed, including international travel (20% expected)
- Experience in a rapid growth environment
- Experience in the manufacture or use of ultrahigh purity materials supplied to the semiconductor industry
- Six Sigma Black Belt
- Advanced degree (chemical engineering, mechanical engineering or management)
- Experience growing and transforming a department