We've made a lot of progress since opening the doors in 1942, but one thing has never changed - our commitment to serve, heal, lead, educate, and innovate. We believe that every award earned, every record broken and every patient helped is because of the dedicated employees who fill our hallways.
At Ochsner, whether you work with patients every day or support those who do, you are making a difference and that matters. Come make a difference at Ochsner Health System and discover your future today!
This job works as a team member within the Hospital Coding and CDI training and education area. Must be knowledgeable in hospital coding and able to perform coding as well as documentation accuracy reviews at a high level. Must be action and project oriented, working independently at times as projects arise. Working remotely is an option.
Required - Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology (IT), Computer Science, Health Information Management (HIM) or related field
Required - Five years’ experience working in a hospital or Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) as a coder required including experience in consulting and in client facing positions
Required - Certification in one of the following areas: Registered Health Information Administrator, Registered Health Information Technician, Certified Coding Specialist, Certified Coding Specialist-Physician based, Certified Professional Coder, Licensed Practical Nurse, OR Registered Nurse
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of information.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present information clearly and professionally.
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various software packages specific to role and keyboard (Microsoft Office Applications, such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Project, and Visio).
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Advanced knowledge of coding/documentation and billing regulations.
- Strong analytical skills to gather and interpret data, evaluate reports and track progress.
- Ability to travel throughout and between facilities.
- Participates in hospital revenue cycle assessments and process improvement engagements.
- Prepares appropriate written reports to include findings and recommendations.
- Conducts periodic status checks with the clients and project team to assess progress against plan and communicates progress to supervisors.
- Oversees and provides training and mentoring to help team members increase their effectiveness.
- Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
- Other related duties as required.