Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work.
We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
Great American Risk Solutions is currently searching for an Underwriting Manager to lead a new Excess Liability / Umbrella underwriting unit. This individual will be responsible for managing an underwriting team, underwriting selection, and soliciting profitable umbrella business.
The right candidate will excel at developing strong relationships with internal and external customers, have proficient underwriting skills, and be responsible for generating new business. The person hired for this position will work from our headquarters in Cincinnati, OH.
• Has accountability for the risk selection, pricing, retention, growth and profitability (per divisional objectives) decisions made by members of the underwriting team.
• Empowers employees to use independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
• Oversees analysis of coverage and limit requests and decisions for what terms to offer.
• Ensures business is priced in accordance with company guidelines.
• Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
• Ensures that appropriate reports are available, accessed and appropriately used for rating and underwriting processes.
• Oversees the development of productive territories.
• Accountable for the development of marketing plans for assigned territory(ies), taking into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of the agents and competitors, divisional objectives and overall market conditions.
• Oversees staff in prospecting and managing broker relationships and in achieving production and profitability objectives.
• Serves as a technical expert in and ensures staff is able to interpret and explain products, facilities, practices and services.
• Identifies opportunities for and may spearhead development of new business and programs.
• Participates in the administration, application and updates to underwriting rules and guidelines for the division.
• Analyzes quality and quantity of risks underwritten and prepares reports to communicate this information.
• Has accountability for the performance, development and coaching of staff (hiring, firing, performance management, pay increases, etc.). Ensures the department has a sufficient number of trained staff to provide necessary levels of service and achieve department performance results.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
Field of Study: Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline.
Experience: 8 or more years of years of related experience, including 2 years of prior supervisory experience.
- Individual must be able to travel as needed, including overnight travel.
- Ability to manage complex work with cross-functional teams and meet deadlines in a demanding environment
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- May be in the process of obtaining or may have already completed certification in area of expertise; appropriate certifications could include Associate in Underwriting (AU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Program in General Insurance (INS) or Associate of Risk Management (ARM).