Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
Great American Risk Solutions writes a diverse mix of property and casualty business, both primary and excess. Risk Solutions writes mostly non-admitted business, partnering with leading wholesalers. We focus on a specialized solutions for a diverse market. Our team members at Great American Risk Solutions display strong personal character, integrity, and honesty. We are driven champions of change and focus on results. We emphasize teamwork, collaboration – among underwriting, claims, and shared services teams – and continuous development of interpersonal and technical skills.
Great American Risk Solutions is adding an experienced Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Claims to its claims team. The position is responsible for profitability through strong and effective claims management via oversight of staff, working on losses in a nationwide book of surplus lines business, including primary and excess claims under commercial general liability (CGL) and other policies. Other qualifications include, a positive attitude, superior coaching skills and strong belief in and maintenance of our culture, which includes empowerment, driving for results, and collaboration.
This position reports to the Divisional Vice President managing the Great American Risk Solutions claims department. Both Cincinnati, Ohio office setting and remote (work-from-home) candidates will be considered.
- Oversees activities within the claims’ teams assigned:
- Provides guidance to team and managers.
- Coordinates team assignments.
- Serves as technical expert to the claim team, providing fresh, creative solutions to claims files, complaints and disputes.
- May affect settlements / reserves within prescribed limits and submit recommendations to management on cases exceeding personal authority.
- Ensures claims payments are issued in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensures claims handling is conducted in compliance with applicable statutes, regulations and other legal requirements, and that all applicable company procedures and policies are followed.
- Possesses a high and extensive level of technical knowledge and skills.
- Works closely with other divisional and corporate claims team members to resolve complex files;
- Responsible for performance, development and coaching of staff (i.e., hiring, firing, performance management, salary increases, etc.). Provides training to new members of the team / unit.
- Responds to inquiries from underwriters and producers;
- Assists with departmental tasks and projects, including quality assurance audits, establishing policies and procedures;
- Complies with applicable company procedures and policies, statutes, regulations, and other legal requirements governing claims handling;
- Maintains necessary adjuster licenses, including completing required continuing education;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Substantial (10+ years) of related claims handling experience and minimum 3 years leadership experience.
- Surplus lines experience required, commercial property and casualty claims.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the CGL coverage forms and/or Commercial Property forms are required.
- Experience handling construction (including construction defect) and Product Recall claims is a plus.
- Exhibits leadership qualities and ability to lead groups.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Experience with excess policies and umbrella policies, a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience and/or training is required;
- Advanced degrees and/or insurance designations are a plus.
- Requires prolonged sitting.
- Requires continuous use of computer.
- Requires travel, including airline and overnight travel as needed.
- May require ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- May lift, carry, push, or pull objects up to 10 lbs.
- Requires regular and predictable attendance.
Apply for this job online
Refer this job to a friend
Share on your newsfeed