The Division Counsel, Global Healthcare Compliance role is a senior-level manager within Abbott’s global legal organization and reports to the Divisional Vice President and Associate General Counsel, Legal Regulatory & Compliance.
Who We Are: We are legal experts who support and help advance the interests of Abbott’s global businesses. As a part of the Abbott Legal Division, we have an opportunity to work for a life-changing medical technology company. We provide thorough and reasoned advice, and engage as business leaders to solve problems for the company as well as the customers and patients we serve.
What We Offer: With Abbott’s proud heritage of developing and delivering life-changing technology and products, and commitment to doing business the right way, a position in Abbott Legal provides an opportunity to engage in meaningful and challenging work on a global scale. As our company grows and evolves, so can our roles and experiences.
How We Work: We expect and encourage our employees to be holistic thinkers and to collaborate so we can get to the best solutions. We value diversity of backgrounds and experiences. We expect our team members to consider both internal and external factors and impact when providing advice and making decisions. We strive to find creative ways to address business challenges, and are committed to leading and shaping the environment in which Abbott operates.
PRIMARY JOB SCOPE:
Responsible for providing advice and counseling on global healthcare compliance legal issues, serving as a “hub” of subject-matter expertise within Abbott’s matrixed Legal organization by:
- Providing “deep-dive” analysis of healthcare compliance/anti-corruption issues for clients in the Legal division, Abbott’s Office of Ethics and Compliance and other corporate functions (including Government Affairs), and Abbott businesses
- Helping ensure appropriately consistent approaches to healthcare compliance/anti-corruption issues across Abbott businesses and geographies
- Engaging externally to support advocacy efforts relating to business priorities
- U.S. federal and state fraud and abuse laws (including the Anti-Kickback Statute, the False Claims Act, the Beneficiary Inducement Law, physician self-referral laws), regulations, guidance documents (including OIG Advisory Opinions), and legal issues relating to industry/trade group codes
- Laws and regulations relating to billing for the provision of healthcare services, including U.S. federal healthcare programs
- U.S. laws and regulations relating to distribution of healthcare products (including wholesaler or distributor requirements)
- Global anti-corruption and anti-bribery laws (e.g., Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, UK Bribery Act)
- Global transparency laws (e.g., U.S. and French “Sunshine” laws) and relevant industry codes
- U.S. laws and regulations relating to operations, billing and reimbursement for the provision of healthcare services and products (e.g., Social Security Act, Medicare and Medicaid regulations, CMS coverage decisions, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments)
- Manage a small team of lawyers and support professionals, including lawyers with responsibility for providing advice and counseling on U.S. trade sanctions laws and regulations (e.g., Office of Foreign Assets Control regulations and related Executive Orders), environmental health and safety and real estate, and the Conflict Minerals Rule
- Bachelor's degree
- Juris Doctor degree
- 10+ years substantive experience in relevant field(s)
- Experience acting as in-house counsel for life sciences or medical technology company
- Experience at top-tier law firm
- Other relevant work experience including government or industry association