The Diversity and Inclusion Director is responsible for the diversity, inclusion and global initiatives and programs across the YMCA of Greater Kansas City focusing on helping to link diversity, inclusion and global strategies and programs to Association operations and priorities. Responsible for all activities related to the sustainability and advancement of the Diversity, Inclusion and Global programs for the Association. Partners with leaders across the organization to ensure the Association recruits, retains, engages and develops qualified and diverse associates and volunteers.
This position may provide leadership for researching and developing strategies to better serve and engage all segments of our community including membership, program, volunteers, associates, suppliers, donor base and community partnerships.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business, Psychology or related area required.
- Five years’ experience in training, public speaking, human resources or other related areas.
- Experience in organization diversity and inclusion strategy development.
- Skilled at designing and implementing effective diversity and inclusion programs.
- Skilled trainer and facilitator in diversity and inclusion related experiences including unconscious bias.
- Ability to lead and influence at all levels of the organization.
- International/Global collaboration experience helpful.
- Skills in collaboration, managing change, and building consensus.
- Experience with technology implementation and project management.
- Must think strategically, operate tactically and impact collaboratively
- Project management experience with ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Resourceful, decisive and proactive. Leads by example in supporting change.
- Must have professional demeanor, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work well with the public and staff.
- Ability to travel throughout Greater Kansas City area, work independently and as part of a team and interact with a multi-cultural community.
- Ability to define problems, collect data and draw valid conclusion. Ability to address employee conflict and performance counseling situations.
- Must maintain a current motor vehicle license and acceptable driving record that meets YMCA standards.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred
- Contribute to the overall YMCA mission of healthy living, youth development and social responsibility.
- Under the direction of the Chief People Officer and in partnership with the senior leadership team helps to develop diversity, inclusion and global strategies that strengthen organizational capacity to deliver the Y’s cause.
- Partner with Leadership Development to identify and/or facilitate training and development programs to drive the diversity and inclusion competencies of associates and volunteers.
- Provide research on best practices, recommend strategies and solutions in support of new programs or collaborations to increase cultural competence, inclusion and global awareness across our workforce and service area
- Work with Association’s Leadership in integrating diversity & Inclusion goals into daily operations and assisting in aspects of the business case for growth and relevance
- Work with center leadership to identify and pilot initiatives to engage underserved populations and increase participation and membership/program results
- Supports the Diversity, Inclusion and Global Council, Diversity, Inclusion and Global Committee, the Associate Resource Groups, coordinating all meetings, managing charts of work and assisting in the execution of all actions items. Take the lead on all local collaborations, multicultural development programs and partners with Leadership Development team to provide strategic direction and support to the Bridge the Gap program.
- Work with Association centers, sites and departments to help create a welcoming and engaging environment for underserved populations
- Promote a diverse and inclusive environment across workforce, membership and program practices.
- Foster relationships with Council and board members across the Association, engaging them in global diversity initiatives and helping to improve center and Council/Board inclusion strategies.
- Collaborate and coordinates with Y-USA Diversity, Inclusion and International Groups and alignment with Y-USA strategic priorities. Ensure the integration of DIG priorities with emphasis on newcomer-immigrant engagement, global education, cultural competency and local to global philanthropy.
- Partner with association leadership to develop and share best practice resources and tools to create, educate and support further integration of international work into YMCA youth and adult programming. Work with association leadership to evaluate and support opportunities for global service with our teens, staff and volunteer leadership development trainings
- Works with Brand Advancement to develop a process for delivering communication messages to associates, members, program participants and volunteers (via newsletters, emails or presentations) related to DIG efforts.
- Identify and/or develop strategic partnerships and relationships to support and deliver the Y’s cause.
- Responsible for administering the organization’s affirmative action program.
- May partner with Sr. People Services Director on associate relations that involve diversity and inclusion concerns.
- Gathers and analyzes data pertaining to DIG strategies such as member/program, associates, donor and collaboration, researches best practices and works collectively to improve all measurements and growth impact.
- Develops specific new actions based on the strategic plan and goals for the Association and communicates them to management
- Develop an internal and external communication plan for DIG.
- Association Liaison to YUSA Diversity, Inclusion & Global departments