Under the general direction of the Director - Operations, the District Operations Manager (DOM) is responsible for the management of personnel, facilities and operations related activities for all branches in the assigned District. The DOM drives cost-effectiveness throughout the District and ensures adherence to regulatory, health and safety compliance.
Environmental, Health & Safety --
- Ensures the daily safe, efficient, legal and economical operation of all branches in assigned District, including transportation, warehouse and tank farm.
- Facilitates compliance to corporate health, safety, and environmental affairs policies, including completion of all required training, documentation and record keeping.
- Supports sales efforts consistent with corporate and regulatory compliance, health, safety and environmental affairs standards.
- Supports emergency response teams across District.
- Manages district health and safety program and conducts safety audits in conjunction with company policies and requirements.
- Ensures comprehensive incident investigations are conducted in a timely manner, confirms identification of root causes and implementation of corrective and preventative measures.
- Regularly communicates District performance, opportunities and issues, and branch or industry related trends to leadership.
Staff Supervision --
- Ensures branches in assigned District foster and maintain a positive work environment.
- Leads all operations personnel assigned to District.
- Manages salary plan, personnel development, hiring, promoting and termination of assigned employees.
- Evaluates skill gaps with direct reports and staff and partners with Human Resources on development programs for subordinates.
- Conveys performance expectations and implications to departments and teams.
- Oversees compliance with all training requirements and needs of district staff.
- Mentors subordinate leaders in appropriate personnel management and models expected performance.
- Communicates and reinforces roles and responsibilities within branches.
- Participates in the negotiation of labor contracts (if applicable).
Branch Administration --
- Provides effective and frequent communication flow from senior leadership to assigned branches.
- Develops budget and operating plans for all branches in assigned District in coordination with district and regional management.
- Regularly participates in District Business Meetings.
- Prepares and presents comprehensive District Reviews to Leadership.
Sales Support/Customer Service --
- Oversees budget and operating plans for branches within the District and monitor and directs achievement of branch goals.
- Ensures cooperation between Operations and Commercial team.
Quality Assurance --
- Ensures company quality processes are adhered to at the district level.
Inventory Management --
- Oversees completion and results of year-end and periodic physical inventory.
Facility Maintenance --
- Oversees efficient warehouse, repack & transportation functions.
Process Improvement --
- Implements initiatives to improve operations across the District.
- Continuously identifies and implements process improvement initiatives throughout the District, ensuring consistency amongst branches.
Performs other related duties as required or requested. May require last minute travel to support Operations initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, preferably in Engineering or Chemistry.
- HazMat certified, Hazwoper Certified, CVI.
- 7+ years’ experience in operational leadership.
- Strong supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of chemical distribution facility operation preferred
- Demonstrated skills required in previous job.
- Strong interpersonal skills in coaching and team building with all levels of people in the organization.
- High level of decision-making ability, balancing customers’ needs and company objectives.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to handle diverse and significant workload.
- Leadership abilities that are recognized by peers and subordinates.
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of chemical distribution.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- In-depth knowledge of chemical distribution facility operation.
- In-depth knowledge of Local, State and Federal regulations affecting facilities in area of responsibility.
- Working knowledge of governmental requirements related to the chemical industry; i.e. OSHA, EPA, RCRA, DOT, etc. or demonstrated ability to attain such knowledge.