As District Manager – Virginiareporting to the Southeast Division VP, you be directlyresponsible for planning, organizing and managingwork within a rapidly growing Heavy Civil Construction business unit.
- Responsible for attracting, supervising, developing and growing the talent needed for your district and within Flatiron. To this end, you have the opportunity to create a positive, collaborative, team oriented environment where team members work to overcome challenges and offer solutions that drive business results for Flatiron and our project owners.
- Actively champions a safety, values based work environment that embodies a cost effective and operationally efficient culture.
- Leads and implements strategies required to setup the district in a way that safeguards the success of the projects throughout the lifecycles, up to and including project closeout
- Develops and maintains successful client/owner and JV relationship, the District Manager will actively contribute to various owner meetings, ensuring win-win outcomes that are best for the project and business
- Ensures that subcontract, JV, owner, consortium and/or public relations dealings are maintained through the integration and alignment of the company values. You may also be required to participate in presentations to internal and external stakeholders, including elected officials and the general public
- Leads and participate in bid reviews with Estimating Department
- Reviews proposed plan of each project to determine that estimated job cost is in line with the budget, evaluate procedures for meeting project goals, evaluate and approve staffing requirements and secure available resources to construct various element of each project
- Provides leadership and guidance to the Project/Segment Managers and various other site personnel, ensuring the project progresses safely, on schedule and within budget
- Responsible for ensuring the most effective utilization of all resources (supervision, manpower, equipment, subcontractors, etc.) on the project, reviewing and overseeing technical, financial and legal activities related to the project, with combined responsibility for achieving financial and operational expectations.
- Reviews weekly and monthly project status reports and evaluate that schedules and plans meet the required project performance goals
- Assists in assembling key personnel for the project, utilizing internal resources as well as external through your existing network
- Manages and provides oversight of major insurance issues
- Participates in the selection and contract execution with subcontractors and suppliers
- Oversees and/or audits project cost controls, budgets, invoicing, estimates and project forecasts and provide regular updates to management, with an emphasis on profit, reduced under billings, positive cash flow, and timely project closeout procedures
- Where necessary, take a lead role in resolving any contractual, legal and/or compliance issues with owners, JV partners or suppliers
- Be a champion in the implementation of new policies and procedures across your group to improve efficiencies and workflow, directly overseeing the change management process
- Collaborates with corporate resource groups such as Project Controls, Legal, Safety, Finance/Accounting, HR, IT, etc.
- Consistently demonstrates him/herself professionally and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include attracting, selecting, onboarding and retaining talent; planning, assigning, and directing work; performance management of team members including annual performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, addressing complaints and resolving problems; building talent and succession within the team.
- A BachelorDegree in Civil Engineering or related field from an accredited institution or equivalent training and experience is required
- 15+ years of direct experience in the heavy civil construction industry, with a minimum of 10+ years of proven Project Management experience with a large General Contractor
- Substantial experience on large scale heavy civil projects (bridges, roads, highways, rail etc.), with exposure to alternative delivery methods including Design-Build and/or P3. Prior experience providing technical oversight and leadership for heavy civil projects in the $100-150M+ range is a requirement for this role
- Strong knowledge of scheduling software (P6)
- Proven success in delivering high quality projects on time and on budget
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and ability to represent all project matters on behalf of the Company and/or Joint Venture related to cost, schedule & contract matters with owner, partners and/or subcontractors
- Excellent communication including written, verbal and presentation
- Proven ability to work through and overcome conflicts productively, while maintaining professionalism at all times