We are seeking an experienced Mechanical, HVAC, Plumbing Engineer for the role of Mechanical Discipline Leader in Woodard & Curran’s Technical Delivery Group (TDG).
The Mechanical Discipline Leader is responsible for leading a Technical Delivery Group (TDG) Discipline to provide high-quality and highly-efficient design services to each of our internal Strategic Business Units and external clients. This Discipline Leader position will require balancing the roles of Manager (People), Doer (Work) and Seller (Markets).
- People duties (15%) include leading and managing the discipline; leveling resources and managing project conflicts; staff training, education and development; managing execution of work to the budget; staff hiring; and identifying and engaging external resources as needed.
- Work duties (65%) include performing design work, developing and overseeing technical standards and project execution, resolving design conflicts, implementing quality assurance/quality control standards, and identifying efficiency improvement opportunities and innovative work approaches.
- Market duties (20%) include serving as the primary point of contact for new project inquiries, participating in proposal Go/No-Go decisions where applicable, supporting proposal development, developing budgets for proposals and projects, and Practice business development support. The DL should engage in the market and remain current with industry standards through conferences, presentations, publications, and/or professional association participation.
What will you be doing at Woodard & Curran?
- The candidate will have experience in the design, specification, construction document development, bidding, construction, field engineering, and startup of industrial, municipal, and commercial HVAC, plumbing, utility and process systems. This includes layout, equipment selection, heating & cooling load calculations, sanitary, waste, vent, domestic cold water, domestic hot water and hydronic heating piping, ductwork design, and general coordination of these mechanical discipline components for multidisciplinary projects.
- Design experience shall also include but is not limited to Air Handling Units, Energy Recover Ventilators, Fans, Oil, Gas & Propane Boilers, Electric Unit Heaters, Hydronic Heating Systems, Water to Water Heat Pumps, Fume Hoods, Louvers, Diffusers, Registers, Grilles and split system heating/cooling units.
- The Candidate shall have specific experience and knowledge of the International Plumbing Code along with state-specific Plumbing Code Variations.
- The Candidate with specific experience in Fire Protection Systems and design of Fire Protection systems is also a high priority but not a must-have.
- The Candidate shall have past experience with planning level and detailed cost estimating for HVAC, Plumbing and Fire Protection components of the design.
- The Candidate shall have specific experience in the design of the instruments, controls and detailed sequences of operations of commercial HVAC systems and unit processes. Candidate shall be able to design and select in detail each instrument, pump, damper, temperature sensor, etc. that is required for each HVAC system along with the associated electrical and control requirements to allow coordination with the Electrical and Controls groups of the TDG as well as the field implementation of HVAC controls by W&C. In addition, candidate shall have specific experience with commercial HVAC control system platforms such as BACNet.
- Develop and evaluate system concepts and options to determine the best design and engineering solution for each project based upon the project scope and also the life cycle cost of the alternative.
- Design mechanical systems including the preparation of all engineering calculations including load calculations, equipment selection and layout throughout the life of the project.
- Work with code authorities as required for approval of the plans or if code related questions arise.
- Develop of all approved drawings and specifications.
- Coordinate with other design team members including the architect, lead process engineer, controls engineer and the electrical and structural engineers to ensure mechanical systems are integrated with all trades.
- Work with engineering project manager to manage design manpower budget and updatebudget to reflect revisions or changes in scope.
- Work as a team member with construction team project manager and construction crews.
- Leadership Skills
- Group and People Management Skills
- Customer Relations Skills
- Process Improvement Skills
- Dispute Resolution Skills
- Conflict Management Skills
- Negotiation Skills
- Teaming and Collaboration Skills
- Communication Skills (written/oral)
- People Support
- Coaching Skills
- Organizational Skills
What will you need to succeed?
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology.
- 8 to 10+ years of related experience.
- Experience with large multidisciplinary projects.
- Familiarity with applicable codes such as the International Building Code, and various state Mechanical and Plumbing Codes required. Ability to apply ASHRAE and NFPA standards during design is required. Candidate shall have experience with NFPA 820, NFPA 37 and other associated industry standard codes that regularly are applied.
- PE registration multiple states preferred. Candidate must be willing to obtain registration in states where new projects are located as needed. Candidate with an existing NCEES Council Record and Model Law Engineer designation is preferred.
- AutoCAD MEP, AutoCAD Plant, Revit MEP, Sysque, NavisWorks proficiency a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision or in a team atmosphere.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Able to effectively interact with design team members, customers, service technicians, field personnel, sales, and office staff.
- Possesses strong verbal, written, analytical, persuasion and interpersonal skills.
- Able to consistently set goals and meet deadlines and adapt to flexible responsibilities.
- Strong writing and presentation skills including the ability to explain in laymen terms how each HVAC system works to clients and other stakeholders.
- Ability to train and mentor junior staff in HVAC and Plumbing design.
- Strong understanding of upfront capital costs and total life-cycle costs of each type of HVAC system.