Creating best in class wine is what drives you. You are passionate about developing people and producing exceptional wines, from grape to bottle. As the Winemaking Director, you will oversee the development and organization of a winemaking team. In collaboration with Operations and Grower Relations, your team will achieve quality, style and cost objectives that support the ongoing growth and success of Constellation Brands.
- Provide leadership in directing wine production, from grape to bottle, to achieve quality, style and cost objectives for the brand(s).
- Develop long term winemaking strategy that includes grape and bulk supply sourcing as well as equipment and technology needed to achieve the goal.
- Develop and execute Operating budget as well as CAPEX budget to ensure financial targets are achieved for the brand.
- Motivate and lead team to ensure accountability for job responsibilities. Establish goals and provide organizational perspective to the team. Identify potential successors.
- Partner with various departments (Grower Relations, Cellar, Bottling, Quality, etc.) to craft wines targeting desired sensory profiles, as well as meeting financial goals, and ensuring production deadlines are met.
- Participate in Constellation Brands events, initiatives, projects and meetings.
- Collaborate with Sales and Marketing on strategic decisions related to the brand.
- Serve as a spokesperson to the trade; work with Marketing and Public Relations to support the technical side of their work.
- Ensure compliance to state and federal regulations regarding alcohol beverage compliance including all TTB regulations
- Support safety initiatives and enforce safety rules and regulations to build a culture of safety.
- B.S. in Food Science, (micro) Biology or Chemistry or similar degree
- 10+ years winemaking experience and 8+ years of management experience
- Good organizational, supervisory and communication skills
- Deep understanding of major aspects of winemaking, laboratory procedures, bottling and production work flow
- Clear commitment to high quality and attention to details. Well-developed wine tasting skills
- Ability to work harmoniously as a team with co-workers and perform duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company’s value of exhibiting the highest quality standards in all endeavors
- Thorough knowledge of local, state and federal government regulations, specifically TTB and state regulations on alcoholic beverage production, distribution and packaging
- Effective communicator, both verbal and written
- Required availability for occasional overnight and/or weekend travel and/or functions
- As required, be on call 24/7 as it relates to emergencies and wine quality issues
- Large scale winery operations experience
- Education or experience in viticulture is desirable
- Advanced skills in MS Suite, specifically in Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint
- Domestic travel up to 5 weeks per year.
- Must be at least 21 years of age. Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods. Lifting may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work Environment:
- Busy Office Environment
- Works outdoors/indoors
- Works in warm/cold climates
- Works in high places
- Works on wet surfaces
- Is exposed to loud noise, fumes and/or toxic chemicals
- Works near moving, mechanical parts and lift truck traffic
- Must be able to move up to 55 lbs.
- Primary office environment may be production/cellar
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to drive a car and
travel via plan/train as needed