Provides operational leadership for the Wholesale Credit Risk Organization (CRO), facilitating and delivering on-going process administration and execution support for credit underwriting and servicing within the Wholesale Bank. Focuses on process and policy governance, business continuity, CRO reporting and analysis, staffing metrics, CRO vendor management, exam preparation and support (internal and external), communications, data and process quality assurance, risk mitigation execution and support and CRO incentive compensation program support.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages direct report and works collaboratively with data and reporting units to provide consistent and accurate portfolio level reporting at varying levels of granularity on exceptions, commitments, risk migration, and projections for the CRO team and Wholesale Banking. Serves as the subject-matter-expert on addressing exceptions and provides feedback on best practices. Recommends, develops and implements effective reporting tools that keep CRO associates and Wholesale Bank leadership informed on key aspects and attributes of underwriting/servicing performance and CRO process execution.
- Works alongside Senior Director to lead exam preparation for internal and external reviews on behalf of CRO. Serves as point person for CRO during internal and external exams and acts as liaison between examiners and applicable associates in collaboration with Credit. Communicates outcomes of exams to CRO team members and leads and coordinates CRO focused exam remediation initiatives and follow-up on MRAs as needed.
- Provides CRO Senior Director workload leveling insight based on current pipeline and anticipated volume levels. Exhibits and promotes timely and effective communication of issues. Acts as a liaison between CRO associates, first line-of-defense relationship teams, second line-of-defense, other bank groups and vendors to jointly resolve problems. Influences others by persuasively presenting thoughts and ideas to gain commitment for proposed ideas and solutions. Provides continuous improvement leadership of credit process with automation and data/model-based emphasis on assessment, monitoring, control and reporting methods.
- Manages incentive plan for CRO in support of CRO Senior Director as requested. Works with CRO Senior Director and direct reports to develop performance targets and service level agreements that support the Bank's vision and business plans. Fosters a client focused and balanced risk/return driven environment in the CRO teams. Monitors portfolio credit quality, CRO performance and quality assurance metrics on an ongoing basis to ensure timely reporting of issues and resolution solutions in establishing/maintaining a strong risk culture.
- Oversees CRO business continuity plans, preparedness and execution. Includes developing and maintaining the CRO Business Continuity Plan consistent with bank standards. Provides oversight of third party vendor management for external data, research and other contracts utilized by CRO and elsewhere if applicable. Works on behalf of first and second line-of-defense to develop and enhance effective credit underwriting, servicing and other policies and procedures via participation in a standing working group. Provides leadership and perspective on data and process quality assurance program design, reporting and execution.
- Drives continues credit process improvement to promote first and second line-of-defense risk ownership and intelligence while acting as a change agent within CRO. Collaborates closely with Credit, Wholesale Loan Operations and first line-of-defense leaders to develop, prioritize and implement credit operational strategies and related initiatives. Supports first and second line-of-defense on technology and automation projects to ensure high levels of quality, superior client experience, risk mitigation and regulatory compliance.
- Provides leadership, direction and growth opportunities to members of the department, performing those responsibilities in accordance with the Company's policies and applicable laws. Responsible for interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning or directing work, appraising performance, disciplining team members and resolving problems. Works with the Human Resources Department to resolve more complex team member-related issues.
- Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures, laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role. Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely fashion.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ten years of experience with senior level credit process management, including effectively applying credit workflow processes and streamlining policy and procedures and expertise with process, design, workflow, data, analysis and reporting resources.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of policies, procedures and federal regulations related to CRO functions
- Strong understanding of the wholesale loan process work flow model stages and tasks including client meetings, application, deal concept and term sheets, underwriting, credit structuring, approval, commitment, loan administration, third party engagement, onboarding, pre-closing, loan closing, funding, booking, post closing, loan and credit servicing, and portfolio management as well as internal and external compliance requirements