Develop and implements ongoing strategic sales and marketing strategies that optimize the long term value of the products/services offered by US Wholesale in a manner consistent with overall Agri Business and Corporate objectives. Directs all sales activities for the SBU, maintaining responsibility for sales, budgeting, planning, pricing, logistics (in coordination with S&OP team) and placement of products into regional specific plans and programs. Utilizes strong leadership skills to supervise, direct and mentor Wholesale Area Managers. Ultimately accountable for roughly $500 million in net sales, with expectations of growth in the next few years. Responsible for developing and implementing a sustainable growth plan for US Wholesale. Partners with Mining and Manufacturing and the S&OP team in evaluating internal operation's capabilities versus sales plans/needs and provides direction for managing existing and future supply / demand scenarios. Utilize relationships with key internal and external constituents, market knowledge and analytical abilities to regularly analyze US Wholesale fertilizer markets and in turn provide direction to Area Managers and internal partners. Together with the VP of Wholesale, represents Wholesale with critical constituents including JRS Corporate leaders, industry associations and groups, and large retail customers including Simplot Grower Solutions. Partners with other AgriBusiness leaders to leverage opportunities across the Group.
- Market Analysis and Systems Planning: Analyzes and develops short and long term strategies in regard to market selection, logistical strategies and requirements, and supply and demand. Partners with AB, Mining, Production, and Logistics leaders in evaluating internal operation's capabilities versus sales plans/needs and provides direction for managing current and future supply / demand scenarios.
- Strategic Integration: Works closely with other company executives to integrate AgriBusiness wholesale strategies with overall Agribusiness and Corporate objectives. Participates in company programs and meetings such as quality improvement teams, management teams, and industry programs or meetings.
- Market/Opportunity Development: Works closely with Area Sales Director, Area Sales Managers, and other market development personnel to explore, analyze and develop new marketing and sales opportunities that are consistent with overall company objectives. Partners with internal constituents to analyze new products and opportunities. Develops and implements sales plans related to new products and services.
- Directs Area Managers: Establishes goals, objectives, sales volumes, and customer service expectations. Conducts sales meetings and customer calls with Area Managers to facilitate their education and development, and establish strong relationships directly with customers. May maintain primary contact on a regular/daily basis with major accounts. Resolves customer complaints. Performs duties related to pricing, supply and general sales promotion.
- Strategic Market Positioning/Product Positioning: On an ongoing basis, develops and implements a strategic market plan consistent with overall company objectives. Develops and implements positioning strategies (including target market, price philosophy, and marketing strategies) for each product line, which optimizes product/service value over the long term. Accountable for developing and implementing a sustainable growth plan for Ag Wholesale.
- Customer/Market Integration: Develops and implements strategies that integrate Company objectives with the market place while ensuring proper market and customer selection, strong customer satisfaction, and maximum value from AgriBusiness (AB) and J. R. Simplot Company assets (both physical and human assets). Partners closely with AB Retail Division leaders to maximize opportunities across the organization.
- Bachelor's Degree from 4 year college or university required.
- Advanced sales, marketing, industry and customer knowledge.
- Extensive product/production knowledge.
- Agricultural sales, sales management and high-level management experience.
- Understanding of agriculture industry segments, including the interrelationships within the industry and specific parameters associated with each segment to secure and deliver the appropriate product to market.
- Knowledge of key financial concepts aimed at generating acceptable and expected returns on invested capital.
- Skills: Analytical skills, excellent communication skills, ability to influence at a high level.
- Decision making skills to problem solve and analyze business opportunities.
- Administrative skills to organize staff and control assigned functions.
- Interpersonal skills to build relationships and effectively communicate with others in a manner that motivates, influences, and contributes to collaboration towards mutually beneficial goals.
- Negotiation skills to arrive at an agreement on terms/alternatives.
- Distinguishing Features: Position requires more strategic thinking and positioning of products and services, versus selling activities. Interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills are critical.
- Demonstrates ability to independently manage and lead a mid size organization (manage part of the total Wholesale Ag Organization).
- Demonstrates the ability to be promoted within one year to eighteen months into the Senior Director position.
- Requires some guidance and coaching from Wholesale Executive leadership (VP of Wholesale and/or President of Agribusiness).
- Requires some guidance and coaching from director level peers.
- Demonstrates the ability to immediately identify growth and process improvement opportunities for a mid size organization. Adheres to all standards, policies and systems as appropriate.