ABOUT US ECOLOGY
US Ecology, Inc. is a leading North American provider of environmental services to commercial and government entities. The Company addresses the complex waste management needs of its customers by offering treatment, disposal and recycling of industrial, hazardous and radioactive waste, as well as a wide range of complementary field and industrial services. US Ecology’s focus on safety, environmental compliance, and customer service, enables us to effectively meet the needs of our customers and to build long-lasting relationships. Headquartered in Boise, Idaho, with operations in the United States, Canada and Mexico, the Company has been protecting the environment since 1952.
The Director of Waste Approvals and Strategic Sourcing coordinates US Ecology’s relationship with third party disposal vendors and customer waste approval programs. You will manage the company’s relationships with treatment and disposal business partners and leverage those relationships to establish cost effective alternatives brokered waste.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages and organizes waste approvals resources to ensure the waste approvals team provides accurate, timely and compliant feedback to customers.
- Manages and optimize relationships with strategic waste treatment and disposal industry partners.
- Facilitates and promotes effective communications throughout organization.
- Serves as the liaison between third party waste vendors and US Ecology’s sales, operations and regulatory compliance departments.
- Establishes cost effective outlets for waste brokered through US Ecology facilities.
- Ensures that waste approvals personnel company-wide are appropriately trained and qualified.
- Validates waste approvals are conducted and the documentation maintained according to established procedures and facility permit requirements.
- Establishes processes and procedures to provide quick and efficient waste approval turnaround.
- Develops approaches and services to deal with complex customer waste needs.
- Resolves customer concerns related to waste approvals through coordinated input by all departments.
- Oversees facility import/export activities and verifies compliance with hazardous waste import/export regulations.
- Develops appropriate metrics to monitor goals and objectives.
- Supports Senior Management with departmental strategic objectives, operational and project budget review, resource management and company growth initiatives.
- Participates in acquisition due diligence activities.
- Promotes expansion of authorized waste types throughout organization consistent with customer needs and company capabilities.
- Coordinates and performs special projects as directed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. These are duties which may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but which are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the associate’s class of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A master's degree and professional training in environmental science, engineering or related field plus 15 years of experience in the hazardous waste management industry; or a combination of education, training and experience.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES (SKA)
- Knowledge of Environmental regulations specific to the environmental waste industry.
- Comprehensive and expert level knowledge and understanding of current hazardous waste Treatment Storage and Disposal Facility (TSDF) and field and industrial services practices.
- Proven and highly developed management skills to effectively lead and direct a compliance assurance program.
- Management expertise to direct managers and staff and managing and administering budgets. Statistical skills to analyze environmental data, reports and trends.
- Broad or in-depth knowledge of EPA regulations, and ISO programs.
- Ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds; excellent written, verbal, communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office