Director, UX Research
Roku is looking for an experienced Director of User Research to lead of a team of researchers and prototypers who evaluate user needs and product usability so we can craft easy-to-use and delightful product experiences for our 40M+ users around the world.
You will partner with design and product management leaders to innovate, evaluate, and deliver features and capabilities across the Roku platform, while maintaining the simplicity and ease-of-use of our products. You are technical, self-managing, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. You enjoy collaborating with a diverse team of individuals and embrace differing opinions.
You oversee research and prototyping, but equally focus on building the organization and processes required to consistently deliver high-quality results. You understand the company mission and business strategy and prioritize the team accordingly.
- Manage, coach, and inspire a team of researchers, by providing vision and direction
- Attract, retain, and develop a world-class user research team
- Oversee high-quality work in a fast-paced, complex, and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Establish and enforce effective research processes that scale
- Lead through rapidly evolving, complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal teams
- Establish trust with cross-functional partners and executive leadership
- Develop a cohesive strategy, and create, plan, and execute research initiatives that influence how we build delightful products
- Formulate research plans and translate findings into actionable insights to drive simple and elegant product solutions to complex technical challenges
- Synthesize customer insights from outside the research team, including collaboration with Customer Support and Ad Measurement
- Develop systems for tracking and improving overall user experience quality
- Partner with product managers, designers, engineers, analysts, and cross-functional stakeholders to contribute to our vision, strategy, and roadmaps, by understanding our customers and how we can best meet their needs and solve their problems
- Occasionally lead research studies yourself
- Balance qualitative and quantitative data to make user-centered design decisions
- Conduct and participate in research reviews with a range of stakeholders across the organization
- Advocate for prioritization of changes, refinements, and improvements to the user experience
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience as a manager of researchers
- 5+ years in individual contributor roles, researching user needs for products and services across multiple platforms
- Confidence in the breadth of research methods, including selecting the most appropriate methods for a given problem or question
- Experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the product development process
- Experience guiding teams who are iterating on products and services post-launch based on user data and insights
- Excellent communication, facilitation, presentation, relationship-building, and analytical skills
- Proven success influencing leaders of product, design, and engineering
- Exceptional project management skills with the ability to define, plan, and lead projects forward
- Expert-level knowledge in conducting foundational, formative, and evaluative research using a range of qualitative and quantitative methods such as: usability testing, contextual interviews, field research, surveys, diary studies, focus groups, and remote testing.
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects demonstrating flexibility in applying research methods in varied contexts (include online portfolio link with resume)
- Master’s degree in Research, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field
- Quantitative research experience such as A/B testing, SQL, statistical analysis, data analysis, and working with large amounts of data
- Familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to creating products for TV