Acts as the in-house expert for the overall UR Medicine system on customer service best practices relating to phone and online contact for referring providers and inquiries from patients and families. Works closely with the Patient & Family Centered Care Office to ensure an excellent experience for patients, families and referring providers. Directs the development, implementation and evaluation of the approach and delivery of internet-, mail- and phone-based service to referring providers and their offices, as well as prospective and current patients. Facilitates access to medical services, health information, education and general assistance for the UR Medicine system including Strong Memorial Hospital, Highland Hospital and associated facilities, Golisano Children’s Hospital, Thompson Health, Visiting Nurse Services and area/regional Primary Care practices. Recommends enhanced and expanded services to meet the short and long term strategy of improving customer service delivery to achieve the overall enterprise objective of being the healthcare system of choice.
- Under general direction and with latitude for independent judgment and action:
- Develops, implements and evaluates programs and initiatives to enhance the service delivered to referring providers, consumers and patients via the phone, website and mail.
- Acts as the in-house expert on access and customer service for the URMFG Clinical Operations Committee, Access Committee and Programs and Departments as requested.
- Establishes and implements training programs for staff interacting with referring offices and other customers, sets targets for achievement, monitors outcomes, adjusts training to meet needs. Analyzes educational programs for achieving established outcomes.
- Oversees the URMC Access Center. Directs and guides the activities of the Access Center management including recruitment, staffing decisions, performance evaluations and other personnel actions. Provides strategic direction to the Access Center management team. Sets and enforces global service standards. Develops expansion plans including manpower and capital needs that are aligned with enterprise access goals. In conjunction with the Director of Patient Access, Ambulatory Care, presents plan recommendations to URMC Leadership for review and approval.
- Establishes programmatic annual operating budget, adheres to budget, monitors and reports on variances. Establishes productivity standards with staff, reviews on regular basis, assures that if not meeting standards, plan is developed to facilitate achievement. Plans for expansion, develops business plan for expansion, including cost of space rental and square footage needs. Presents business plan, in concert with Director of Patient Access, Ambulatory Care, to URMC leadership for review and approval.
- Interacts with deans, directors and chairs frequently regarding proposed/ongoing projects. Identifies potential internal and external organizational relationships with the Access Center and negotiates service agreement and/or contracts as appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication between and among system, regional and clinical leadership regarding access and customer service strategies and initiatives.
- Acts as a liaison to and participant in the efforts to support care coordination, quality improvement and system integration projects with a focus toward continuous process improvement and efficient use of resources, consumer education, disease prevention measures, and quality care.
- Ensures confidentiality of information coming into and out of the Access Center in accordance with policy and the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPPA).
- Serves as liaison to risk management, other duties as assigned.
MBA or Master’s degree in Business, Communications or a related field, and 10 years of relevant experience in customer service, call center management or health system access; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.