The Director of the Underwriting Analyst (UA) Team is part of the Group Benefits Underwriting Shared Services organization and leads the UA team consisting of 3 regional teams of 20+ Underwriting Analysts and three leaders located in multiple locations. This team plays an essential role in the preparation of presale ratings, renewal ratings, customer experience reports and experience accountings exhibits for existing Hartford and converting Aetna Regional and National Accounts. This high production, fast paced team requires an energetic leader to stay current with the processes, evolving business needs, presale and renewal volumes, to foster teamwork and champion a collaborative work environment between the UA Team and Underwriting.
The UA team is the foundation for generating initial presale rates and preparing all renewal case experience exhibits, including Participating Accountings. There will be frequent interaction with various departments across Group Benefits and the Underwriting teams. The Director is expected to promote partnership and build relationships with business partners, customers and with the appropriate cross-functional stakeholders to help establish best practices and learning solutions.
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION?
- Manage the Presale and Renewal volumes, reporting requests and ensure turnaround times and quality standards are being met on a consistent basis.
- Provide appropriate support to business on Presales, Renewals and Customer reporting to drive UW business performance
- Set performance standards and implement processes to monitor results for TATs and accuracy of RFPs, renewals and customer reporting handled by the team
- Manage teams service and quality goals that will assist in building and maintaining proper relationships with Underwriters and field partners
- Provides leadership, direction and coaching to staff. Talent management performance review, objectives and individual learning plans.
- Develop, implement, monitor and adjust operating norms and team expectations to attain effective execution and alignment with business priorities and goals
- Determines priorities and ensures adherence to standards for the team. Monitors and manages performance measurements to ensure effectiveness of the results delivery. Effectively directs team resources to drive business needs.
- Understand and evaluate process and business challenges to generate critical insights and set a plan of action to resolve and add business value. Ensure team has tools in place to hit service deliverable goals.
- Understand, adapt and help teams navigate through change.
- Support THW adoption and drive a continuous improvement culture.
- Actively participate in GB and team engagement, including team building events. Implement and sustain a talent strategy for the UA team that strikes a balance between hiring, retaining and promoting talent while building bench strength and continuity on the team. Implement and sustain effective hiring and onboarding practices.
- Effectively present comprehensive and concise business recommendations to senior leadership and utilize negotiating and influencing skills to gain agreement.
- Recognize and promote best practices by maintaining a thorough understanding of business needs through championing initiatives, enhancements and projects to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the UA business process.
- Strong leadership and compliance commitment at both individual and team level.
- Support key projects to ensure Underwriting and UA Team evolves with the needs of the business
- Where appropriate, partner with Sales & Relationship Management & Operations teams to focus on ensuring ongoing discussions around the end to end process, consistency, leveraging successes & working to close gaps that have a negative impact on the customer experience.
- Ability to travel to satellite offices with a UA presence.
- Bachelor's degree and 4+ years' experience in Group Benefits or equivalent work experience required, familiarity with risk management and pricing methodologies preferred
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategies designed to meet or exceed customer expectations and improve business results
- Proven leadership and management skills obtained through min 3+ yrs of management
- Extraordinary influencing, decision making and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal and business communication skills; ability to communicate to audiences with different levels of expertise
- Demonstrate integrity and inspire trust
- Able to leverage and influence cross functional networks to acquire and consolidate information from various sources
- Ability to critically analyze data, problem solve, make judgments as to reliability/accuracy of information received
- Must be detail oriented; able to challenge existing norms using logic
- Ability to multi-task while demonstrating the ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated written communication skills
- Strong team building and interpersonal skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft office
- Self-motivated and strive for excellence