Director, Transportation Strategic Sourcing
The Director of Transportation Strategic Sourcing will be responsible for developing and overseeing sourcing strategies aligned with Ross Stores' business needs. This position will be responsible for supporting the Transportation Procurement group's strategic sourcing, vendor management and contracting events. The ideal candidate will have a background in transportation sourcing, with a focus on benchmarking and negotiating a variety of modes, and have a background in Retail supply chain. To be successful, the Director, Transportation Strategic Sourcing needs to closely partner with multiple stakeholders across the company. Strong project management, partnership and communication skills are mandatory. The candidate will also need an entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to identify and develop business cases to promote support to pursue new opportunities. The Director (based in Ft. Mill, SC with the Transportation team) will report to the Senior Director, Strategic Sourcing (based at Ross Stores HQ in Dublin, CA).
Supports Transportation Sourcing and Category Management:
- Maintains Transportation sourcing roadmap and monitors project pipeline for bidding opportunities.
- Partners with Transportation leadership to determine sourcing strategy and execution approach for each mode.
- Conducts and/or supports sourcing events (negotiations / bidding).
- Manages external consultants on benchmarking / bidding events as necessary.
- Leads contracting for major carriers and projects (drafting, redlining, signature process).
- Creates annual savings over the current cost base.
- Identifies broader cost reduction opportunities.
Leads Vendor Management for Transportation:
- Assesses needs and establishes initial vendor management strategy (i.e. tools and vendor tiering).
- Creates short-term and long-term plan for vendor management approach.
- Develops templates and 'play-book' for stakeholder use.
- Partners with Transportation Procurement and Operations teams to execute regular vendor reviews / QBRs.
- Documents and communicates key vendor action plans to senior leadership
Assists in Procurement and Finance-Related Initiatives:
- Partners with the larger Strategic Sourcing team to:
- Ensure Transportation sourcing and vendor approach is consistent with company standards.
- Report and track savings according to company standards.
- Drive department-wide initiatives (e.g. process and tool changes, contract management).
- Partners with Transportation Procurement and Supply Chain Finance to assist in budgeting / forecastingtransportation cost trends.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- BA/BS required.
- Consulting experience and Retail industry experience is a plus.
- 8-10 years of work experience in transportation procurement/sourcing or logistics consulting across a broad set of modes (i.e. truckload, less-than-truckload, ocean, small parcel, cross-dock, 3PL).
- Experience with transportation management systems (such as Manhattan).
- Financial modeling skills, strategic thinking and the ability to influence on multiple levels of the organization.
- Communication and collaboration skills with the proven ability to influence.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and issues with exceptional attention to detail.
- 10-15% travelrequired.