The R&D group is responsible for identifying and developing technologies that will enable GAF to lead the roofing industry and create a sustainable advantage for the company. The GAF Director of Technology & Innovation role aides that goal by advocating, along with R&D leadership, the identification of technology trends that may impact our industry, and defines and executes a program to bring technologies/partners to GAF to technology/product screening. This position will focus on the leading and development of platform and technology demonstration in targeted areas and deciding go/no go on starting systematic development. This focus on the front end of technology development will include these key focal areas:
- Lead Open Innovation in areas/technologies that support GAF’s mission
- Using the front end of innovation process to identify, screen, and reach decisions on opportunities
- Lead assessment of candidates – technologies and partners – to identify the opportunity, develop a proposal for impact to GAF, and reach a recommendation for a path forward.
- Spearhead the strategic mapping of core competency for the key product/business areas, or the results of these efforts, and advocate R&D opportunities.
- Strategic collaboration with the R&D team to identify potential platform technologies and develop the business case.
- Work with GAF Leadership to develop strategies on how to proceed.
- Supports technology development for long term sustainable advantage in our selected markets.
- Become the expert “connector”/networker in R&D
- The specific job description/responsibility/requirements are listed as follows.
- Ensure the implement the front end of innovation process to identify and reach decisions on candidate platform and transformation technologies/partners
- Champion and achieve buy in from R&D leadership for targeted focus areas for scouting and platform technologies.
- Use the Core Competency approach to map GAF technical strengths (R&D, Manufacturing, Process/Engineering) and share these with the organization.
- Works on complex goals that require effort to define and organize. Responsible for defining and leading the project to deliver the solution.
- Effective business acumen. Translates business needs to R&D projects and staff effectively. Can communicate the impact of R&D projects and tools effective to peers in other functional areas. Develop and maintain a network of technology thought leaders and facilitate discussions of GAF staff with this network.
- Provide regular updates on activities and learnings across the R&D, Operations, and Marketing teams at a schedule agreed upon with R&D leadership
- Identify and champion opportunities for Open Innovation by providing a concise technical and business overview with potential impacts to the GAF business.
- StageGate: effectively uses to maximize return of R&D efforts.
- Business acumen: contributes to tactical discussions in a product area
- Be the primary interface at Universities with the goal of identifying leading institutions in targeted fields and commissioning specific Research for R&D or evaluating their potential offerings; specifically leading scope definition, budgets, timelines, and IP conditions with the rest of GAF.
- Champion opportunities for new platform technology development by providing a concise technical and business overview with potential impacts to the GAF business.
- Prepare invention disclosures.
- Must champion safety
LEVEL BASED COMPETENCIES:
Level Based Competencies are to be designated based on job level and content.
- Building Strategic Working Relationships
- Technical/Professional Knowledge & Skills
- Business Acumen
- Planning and Organizing
- Strong business and technical acumen
- Knowledge of front end of innovation tools and processes
- Demonstrated success with creating a technology platform or new business development.
- Demonstrated success in more than one industry. No roofing industry experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong customer focus
- Excellent organizational and follow up skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to meet time sensitive deadlines
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Strong innovation and/or networking skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently
- Strong business acumen and ability to translate technology to potential business impacts
- Exhibits a curious mind
- Demonstrated ability to get to the essence of a new concept quickly
- Demonstrated ability to make things happen—this is an important characteristic
- Would prefer candidate to be multilingual—not a must
- 15+ years industrial experience with a Masters in chemistry, chemical engineering, or material science and engineering. Advanced technical degree or PhD strongly preferred.