Director Technical Accounting Policy & External Reporting
This individual has a leadership role in the external reporting activities for MSG Networks Inc. and its subsidiaries which includes the preparation of quarterly and annual documents that are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), including the preparation of Management’s Discussion and Analysis and footnote information disclosed within these documents. Review of the Company’s annual and quarterly press releases to the public in order to identify any potential issues which may require a change in the disclosure in the related filing with the SEC or the release itself. Also responsible for assisting in the preparation and the review of other SEC filings that arise as a result of debt and/or equity offerings, as well as Form 8-Ks, proxy statements, etc.
This position has overall responsibility for technical accounting matters including research and documentation related to current and emerging accounting issues. Responsible for ensuring the Company’s continuing compliance with accounting rules promulgated from regulatory bodies which include the SEC and the Financial Accounting Standards Board. In addition, the position is responsible for the evaluation of new accounting standards / pronouncements. This would include (i) obtaining an understanding of the rule/pronouncement, (ii) determining its applicability to the Company, (iii) assist with the development and implementation of the Company’s adoption plans and (iv) ensuring that controls are in place and are adequate to support the criteria outlined in the rule/pronouncement (as applicable).
This position also has the following operational accounting responsibilities: (i) pension accounting, (ii) share-based compensation accounting, (iii) other employee compensation and benefit accounting, and (iv) the review of Capital Expenditure requests, including those related to internally developed software (to determine appropriateness of capitalization).
In addition, this position is responsible for the performance of the Company’s annual goodwill impairment analysis, including the management and oversight of any assisting 3rd Party Specialists, as necessary. This role will also assist in the preparation of financial statements of the Company’s subsidiaries in satisfying covenants on existing debt outstanding.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required
- CPA License required
- Minimum 7+ years of progressive accounting experience
- Must have shown significant success and progression in prior work experience(s)
- Must have experience working with SEC clients (if coming from public accounting) or at an SEC Registered Company (if coming from private)
- Must be current on both quarterly and annual SEC disclosure requirements, as well as current generally accepted accounting principles. Experiencerequired in the accounting for the following areas: Revenue recognition, including deferred revenue, specifically as it relates to arrangements with multiple deliverables
- Must have shown the ability to consume large amounts of data / information and be able to extract and summarize relevant facts
- Must have shown the ability to perform independent accounting research and the subsequent framing and documentation of accounting issues along with the related conclusions
- Must have shown the ability to work independently while effectively prioritizing multiple tasks
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel, and possess knowledge of automated environments.
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Excellent developmental and motivational techniques
- Project management: ability to keep projects on track
- Must possess a strong, flexible work ethic that meets tight deadlines
- Strong sense of integrity, responsibility and accountability
- Ability to establish relationships with business partners, including external auditors
- Presentation skills necessary
- Prior experience working at a Big 4 accounting firm preferred.
- New Revenue Recognition standard experiencepreferred.
- Experience in entertainment or media industry a plus.
Candidates who have completed 60 credits of college-level coursework (representing 2 years), or have shown similar self-development through certifications, trade school coursework, etc. are preferred.