The Director – Talent Acquisition and Onboarding will be a national resource for SCA, located in the Deerfield, Illinois office in the northern suburbs of Chicago. This location includes leaders and teammates in the finance, information technology, human resources, managed care, and other corporate functions. It also serves as the group office for the upper Midwest region of SCA. Located within walking distance of the Lake-Cook Road Metra station on the Milwaukee North Line, the office is also easily accessible from the Tri-State Tollway. The facility was renovated in 2017 and includes a cafeteria.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
The Director - Talent Acquisition and Onboarding is a new position, reporting to the Vice President – Human Resources for SCA, and will be accountable for aligning talent acquisition strategy, infrastructure, processes and organizational design. In 2018, the primary focus will be understanding the current state, proposing improvements to the services, and reimagining the SCA approach to talent acquisition and onboarding. In 2019 and following, this role will lead the reimagined talent acquisition and onboarding function. The successful candidate will align talent acquisition and onboarding resources - internal to SCA, within the UnitedHeath Group and Optum platforms, and through external vendors and contracts - to achieve our human capital strategies and business goals.
Included among the resources, processes, and technology to examine and consider in this strategy are: talent sourcing, branding & attraction, recruiting, screening & selection, hiring, and first-year on-boarding of high quality, diverse talent. To achieve results, the incumbent will appropriately balance teammate and vendor resources, infrastructure and enabling technology platforms, and organization design. This effort will be most effective when completed in partnership with the Human Resource leadership team and SCA business leaders.
As the leader of Talent Acquisition and Onboarding within the Human Resources organization:
- Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Surgical Care Affiliates Mission, Vision, and Values in their behaviors, practices, and decisions.
- Accountable to analyze the present state of talent acquisition and onboarding services and processes, including their effectiveness, efficiency, and quality at the process and outcome levels, and identifies gaps and recommends solutions to the organization for continuous improvement.
- Sets forth a vision and strategic plan for the talent acquisition and onboarding function, including the deployment of resources (including human capital, expenses, capital investments, vendor partnerships, etc.) and the stewardship of key processes (that is, sourcing, branding & attraction, recruiting, screening & selection, hiring, and first-year on-boarding). Vision and strategy must explicitly consider and include diversity and inclusion. Develops, reviews, revises, and finalizes the vision and strategic plan with the VP-Human Resources and the HR leadership team. Also involved directly with the business leaders and Support Services function leaders, as required, to develop and finalize the vision and strategy.
- Establishes a dashboard and balanced scorecard of metrics to measure the effectiveness, efficiency, and quality of processes and outcomes for talent acquisition and onboarding. Metrics should include diversity and inclusion measures. Accountable for the conduct of a needs assessment for talent acquisition and onboarding - identifies performance issues and opportunities, analyzes discrepancies between existing and desired performance and translates assessment results into program or service design or improvement opportunities.
- Designs and develops best in class talent acquisition and onboarding strategies and operational processes to meet business requirements for talent to fill requisitions and to enable SCA to continue its role as a national leader. Processes include the consideration of both internal and external talent. Establishes a level of expertise, standardization and implementation of processes, methodologies and tools to assure a sustainable talent acquisition and onboarding process aligned to business requirements.
- Manages recruitment process of executive positions. (Including working with executive search firms that compliment the health care industry).
- Manages vendor relationships. Identifies vendors and providers of talent acquisition processes and tools to meet the organization’s needs, monitors performance against expectations and makes recommendations for continued use of vendors and external solutions.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, especially in the area of employment law pertinent to the talent acquisition process, SCA’s regulatory compliance programs, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
- Bachelor’s degreerequired. Field of BA may be from Business or Social Sciences, with otherdegree backgrounds also considered. Advanced degree such as an MBA or MHA, or MS in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Organizational Development, Organizational Behavior, or related behavioral sciences, or equivalent combination of education and/or business operations experiencepreferred.
- Extensive knowledge of talent acquisition principles and practices including experience with building, developing, and maintaining an effective talent acquisition and onboarding organization for an enterprise with multiple, significantly dispersed locations and sites (such as in different cities and states).
- Ten or more years of progressively responsibleexperience in corporate support services functions, with a recent focus on talent acquisition and onboarding. Experience must include a proven record of successful development and execution of talent acquisition operations and business requirements. Significant business operations background (with emphasis on talent acquisition), including the use and deployment of modern continuous improvement techniques, as exemplified in Lean Workplace principles, Six Sigma methodology, or other related disciplines and approaches. Experience in merger, acquisition or divestiture activity would be a plus.
- Extensive experience in design and implementation of talent acquisition and onboarding systems in a large, decentralized environment.
- Must have established positive, results-oriented employment references from the senior operations and business leaders for organizations served.
- Ability to identify performance gaps and recommend/create process and other improvement interventions. Proven record of helping others create and develop high performing, productive work teams. Experience developing statistical, competency and/or financial models.
- Excellent organization/business process understanding, consultation and design skills.
- Business acumen and business and HR credibility. Must have experience and a record of proven success in working as part of a business leadership team to achieve positive business outcomes in human capital and talent acquisition.
- Well-developed management and facilitation skills. Leads and inspires innovation. Overcomes resistance while preparing and supporting those affected by change. Demonstrated skill in coaching, counseling and collaborating, ability to inspire and build confidence in others and to forge alliances and garner support from diverse groups.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills in order to initiate and develop productive working partnerships with all levels of management/leadership and staff along with effective vendor management experience. Ability to influence results and tactfully manage complex relationships and influences within and across the organization. Ability to read the subtle nuances of situations and react/plan accordingly.
- Experience dealing with and influencing senior executives. Highly developed oral and written communication, persuasion and negotiation skills in order to effectively identify and present services, assess organizational development opportunities, facilitate improvements, and present advisory, persuasive and authoritative recommendations to all levels of management.
- Analytical ability to conceptualize well in unstructured, fast-paced, dynamic and multi-functional environments requiring creativity, innovation, foresight and mature professional judgment. Ability to think strategically and analytically about related HR functions, including impact on business, long-term ramifications, etc.
- Project management skills including the ability to define scope, program, process or project objectives, identify business needs, stakeholders and their interests, plan steps, and provide authoritative advice on coordinating and allocating human, technological and fiscal resources to accomplish goals and objectives in a resourceful and timely manner.
- Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of Surgical Care Affiliates.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to set and organize own work priorities, and adapt to them as they change frequently. Must be able to work concurrently on a variety of tasks/projects in an environment that may be stressful with individuals having diverse personalities and work styles.
- Must be able to travel to the various SCA sites (approximately 25%) as needed.
- Must possess the ability to comply with SCA policies and procedures.