five percent of all inpatient care delivered in the country today is provided by HCAfacilities resulting in more than 26M patient encounters eachyear. HCA is committed to the care and improvement of human life and strives to deliver high quality, cost effective healthcare in the communities we serve. Building on the foundation provided by our Mission & Values, HCA puts patients first and works to constantly improve the care we provide by implementing measures thatsupportour caregivers, help ensure patient safety and provide the highest possible quality.
• Ranked 63 in Fortune 500
• Competitive Fortune 100, industry matched salaries and yearly merit increase
• Computerworld Top 50 Best Places to Work in IT annually since 2009
• Named one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” annually since 2010
• 106 HCA hospitals are on The Joint Commission’s list of top performers on key quality measures.
The Client Support Services (CSS) Director position is primarily responsible for all duties and responsibilities related to achieving the department, IT&S, and company goals and objectives as identified and authorized by the Vice President (VP) or Assistant Vice President (AVP). Reports directly to the AVP of Client Support Services. May act as the IT&S representative to selected areas of the company as assigned.
The CSS Director defines, develops, coordinates, recommends, and implements how their assigned business lines and teams will assist in achieving the goals and objectives of the CSS department, assigned business line(s), overall IT&S, and the company. They frequently meet with other IT&S and Corporate department management, and may meet with company senior executives.
The CSS Director:
• Maintains a working knowledge of the systems related to the business lines supported.
• Maintains a current knowledge of the issues facing both information systems and healthcare industries.
• Routinely provides creative and innovative ideas and approaches that will improve the performance of HCA Information Systems
• Assists in meeting the business goals and strategies of the corporation to IT&S and company executive management, business line(s), senior management, and other functional areas as required.
• Independently and in conjunction with other IT&S or Corporate departments, works to achieve company goals and to develop standards and policies to refine the ability to reach and maintain said goals.
• Ensures that functional area(s) deliver products and services effectively, develops its staff and capabilities, follows processes and standards, builds and expands relationships with key stakeholders, and plans and allocates resources to meet IT&S goals.
The ideal candidate will combine strong leadership and technical ability with excellent documentation, communication and process development skills. He/She will create an environment that encourages information sharing, team-based resolutions, cross-training, and process improvement to ensure effectiveness, efficiency, and service excellence. The Director will collaborate across departmental boundaries to ensure IT&S goals and HCA priorities are met and business value is realized. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate competency in staff development and keeping current with industry trends and changes in healthcare technology. They will continually seek to improve technical skills as related to all areas of the support organization through attending classes and keeping up to date on industry standards and by providing facility onsite support as requested.
The CSS Director provides support during and after normal business hours (nights, weekends & holidays) as required for escalation purposes.
Operations Management – approximately 30%
• Consistently identify, communicate and implement processes to improve the level of service provided to customers.
• Identify performance measurements to be use in quantifying department service levels
• Assist in achieving departmental performance objectives and service levels.
• Establish service level goals and objectives for support teams within assigned business line(s).
• Responsible for meeting service level and project deadlines assigned.
• Build and maintain relationships with staff, leadership, and key stakeholders.
• Review annual budget for assigned groups and monitor expenditures throughout the year to stay within budget.
• Facilitate or initiate opportunities to reduce incoming call volumes, develop solutions and coordinate solution implementation (i.e. queue management, process improvements, recurring problem identification, resolution automation, issue elimination)
• Facilitate or initiate opportunities to improve departmental efficiency, develop solutions and coordinate solution implementation.
• Lead various IT&S teams in development, monitoring, and execution of problem resolution paths
• Maintain a high functioning level of written and verbal communication skills, ensuring teams provide clear and concise message delivery to all company stakeholders, especially executive leadership.
• Ensure daily and monthly statistics/reports used in all aspects of operations are accurate and delivered timely to stakeholders.
• Ensures accountability for department and team goals by leveraging metrics and reporting, ensuring regular and timely feedback mechanisms are in place.
• Regularly review and analyze support team work trends, utilizing results to execute service delivery improvement actions.
• Develop and direct process improvement initiatives to improve customer satisfaction and operational efficiency.
• Evaluate and recommend new technologies that have the potential to improve the service experience.
• Direct the deployment of new CSS toolsets and processes
• Identify, actively lead and participate in projects to support department goals.
• Oversee budget, timeline and scope on all CSS led projects including system upgrades.
Staff Development and Allocation – approximately 20%
• Conduct interviews and participate in hiring of new employees.
• Conduct performance reviews, performance management interviews, career development, and coaching/mentoring activities
• Complete annual salary and budgets.
• Ensure routine training assessment and fulfillment activities.
• Establish staffing goals and criteria for department.
• Review and monitor staff schedules to maximize service delivery potential.
• Participate in building functional core competencies and disciplines to support the needs of the business.
• Participate in resource planning, recruiting, and allocating resources to meet the demand of IT&S projects and intradepartmental efforts.
Team Direction and Management – approximately 20%
• Supervise staff to ensure that procedures are followed regarding the documentation, follow-up, escalation and resolutions of customer’s problems.
• Maintain a high level of systems knowledge and an understanding of the products and services supported by the assigned business line(s).
• Ensure operational handoff procedures are completed by coordinating new system rollouts, software upgrades, and other support needs with stakeholder groups, ensuring the support organization is provided adequate training, system documentation, and ongoing maintenance processes are in place.
• Identify internal training/staff development needs. Ensure ongoing training mechanisms are in place and ensure procurement of new resources to meet identified needs.
• Lead efforts to develop new and/or optimize existing processes and procedures.
• Lead efforts in aligning tactical and strategic efforts with business expectations in congruence with department guidelines and parameters.
Relationship Management and Interdepartmental Support – approximately 15%
• Builds relationships and works closely with business operations, key IT&S support teams, IT&S leaders, vendors, professional organizations, consultants, and staff.
• Creates an environment that encourages information sharing, team-based resolutions, cross-training, and process improvement within the department or area managed to ensure effectiveness, efficiency, and service excellence.
• Utilizes relationships and data analytics to ensure application stakeholder visibility into system health, customer challenges and issue escalations with a goal toward process improvement, incident time to resolution, and incident elimination.
• Ensure that support community interests are addressed in order to provide operational excellence in service delivery.
Incident Response and Communications – approximately 15%
• Provide after-hours management on callsupport including weekends and holidays as needed.
• Provide management level support for situations involving critical service impact.
• Provide oversight and technical expertise to staff and other business partners involved in the process of supporting high complexity or escalated issues.
• Participate in major events and/or large problem efforts between multiple divisions, vendors, and IT&S resources.
• Actively work to ensure team, department, and IT&S SLAs are met.
• Actively participate in and provide oversight to communications needs and expectations for customers and stakeholders.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
7 or more years
Other preferred/required experience:
Experience in healthcare operations - Preferred
5 or more years
Bachelor’s Degree - Required
OTHER / SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
• Professional Certification and license preferred for certain lines of business.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills to interface with all levels of the organization across all lines of business.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Exceptional customer service skills in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Demonstrated excellent analytical skills and problem solving abilities.
• Demonstrated experience with problem tracking and trending.
• Demonstrated leadership skills in dealing with peers and associates.
• Demonstrated strong organization and time management skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively direct and achieve a multitude of objectives simultaneously.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully manage vendor relationships.
• Demonstrated excellent project management leadership abilities including managing complex projects and utilizing project management tools.
• In depth knowledge of Information Systems for healthcare or a related industry.
• In depth knowledge of customer service and customer service tools.
• In depth knowledge of all applicable systems as assigned.
• Proven managerial and administrative skills.
• Requires no supervision.
• Ability to make independent decisions.
• Ability to judge problem severity and use discretion in obtaining services as needed.
• ITIL Framework and/or Service Management Operations knowledge desired
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
• Physical Demands: Prolonged sitting, viewing a computer screen and typing on a computer keyboard
• Working Conditions: Provides after-hours (nights, weekends & holidays) and on-call support as required for escalation procedures.
• Working Conditions: May require occasional travel.