The Director will develop and drive Ross’ company-wide sustainability strategy and roadmap. Responsibilities will include leading our measurement and reporting efforts, owning internal and external communication, and interfacing with the Ross Sustainability Steering Committee. In addition, the Director is expected to surface sustainability opportunities and coordinate sustainability efforts across multiple divisions (stores, distribution centers, offices, and transportation). The Director will be a champion for sustainabilityat Ross.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to integrate sustainability into Ross’ business model and culture. Strong analytical,project management, and communication skills are mandatory in this role. The Director will report to the Senior Director ofCorporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability with significant exposure to Ross’ senior leadership.
- Set strategic direction for sustainability program
- Work with the Sustainability Steering Committee to create and maintain a multi-year sustainability strategy and action plan
- Assess risks, impacts, and opportunities to identify Ross’ sustainability priorities
- Establish and implement methods that demonstrate the business value of our sustainability performance
- Support continuous improvement towards sustainability targets
- Own the measurement and reporting workstream
- Build the infrastructure and data management system for accurate data capture, validation, analysis, and externalreporting of key sustainability impacts, including waste and greenhouse gas (GHG)
- Regularly collaborate across the business to drive reporting and target-setting
- Manage Ross’ participation in external disclosures
- Direct internal and external communication
- Develop and manage the sustainability program’s external communication and outreach, including annual reportingand website updates
- Keep the Sustainability Steering Committee informed of performance and recommendations to enable them toshape and oversee the sustainability effort
- Encourage environmentally conscious behavior across the company by developing programs and materials that promote awareness of sustainability initiatives
- Serve as the sustainability program’s point of contact for senior leaders and corporate functions, with a focus oneducation and advocacy
- Drive sustainability initiatives
- Conduct materiality assessment and develop business cases for energy efficiency and waste reduction opportunities throughout our operations
- Facilitate cross-functional sustainability initiatives that have material impact on our sustainability program
- Track and monitor industry trends to identify best practices for continuous improvement
- Analysis and Judgement
- Drives Results
- Business Acumen
- Technical Competence
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- BA/BS preferably in Engineering, Business/Economics, Environmental Science or Communications.
- A master's degree (e.g. Master of Environmental Management or MBA) is a plus.
- 8-10 years of work experience in implementing and guiding sustainability programs initiatives, preferably with a retailer.
- Candidate should have technical knowledge of sustainability concepts and regulations, and the ability to translate that knowledge into realistic initiatives
- Extensive experience with relevant standards and reporting frameworks, as well as experience in the technical practices ofmonitoring and measuring environmental footprints
- Strong oral and written communication, as the Director will communicate with employees at all levels of the company, including C-level executives.
- Collaboration skills and the ability to complete projects with multiple objectives and stakeholders.
- Analytics skills necessary to evaluate data, assess feasibility and develop project ideas.
- Organized and independent worker with clear abilities in solving problems and making strong recommendations
- Positive attitude and willingness to step into all levels of roles as the sustainability program evolves
- Strong planning, organizational and execution skills with unwavering attention to detail
- Strong PowerPoint, Word and Excel skills; experience with Engie is a plus.
Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a computer.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, and working withpaper/files, etc.
Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Ross is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of the Company’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented and diverse workforce. Ross is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination basedon race, color, religious creed, age, national origin, ancestry, physical, mental or developmental disability, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), veteran status, military status, marital or registered domestic partnership status, medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected byfederal, state or local laws.